Graphical issues after upgrading from 2.81 to 3.54

For PC (Windows) specific help with technical issues running the game.
Fire Eye

Hi there,

First of all, thanks a lot for this wonderful little gem of a game!

I installed the update from GOG yesterday, and the game's graphics now looks terrible (mutliple problems - see screenshots). I tried changing the graphics settings in-game, but it didn't solve anything. A full reinstall also didn't fix the problem.

My previous installed version was 2.81, current version is 3.54 (3.58 doesn't seem to be available on GOG yet, but the patch notes don't mention fixing this particular issue).

I've also attached a DxDiag summary. Hope it helps.

Thanks in advance and best of luck with the development.
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(26 KiB) Downloaded 843 times
cosmogonies
'Ghost of a Tale' Programming

Wooow, that is something oO.

So sorry for your inconvenience, and we do not know what happened to you... that's very strange.

Please try uninstall the game completely, and re-download it.

Also clean all your preferences by creating a file "GoaT_ClearPreferences.cmd" with that line:
reg delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\SeithCG\Ghost of a Tale" /f

I hope that helps regen your game ! (your save file are safe)
Fire Eye

Thanks for your help. I followed those steps, but unfortunately nothing has changed...
cosmogonies

Oh, so sorry that happened T.T .

Can you confirm that you are not playing on a laptop ? (could be an issue with dual gpus)

And can you confirm that the game was running fine in 2.81 ?
althrioan

I have to say that even though these errors the game looks pretty magnificent :D :twisted:
Fire Eye

Oh, so sorry that happened T.T .

Can you confirm that you are not playing on a laptop ? (could be an issue with dual gpus)

And can you confirm that the game was running fine in 2.81 ?
Correct, I'm playing on a desktop computer and everything was running fine in 2.81.
Seith
'Ghost of a Tale' Creator and Developer

Hi, we've wracked our brains trying to understand what could be causing your issue to no avail.

Version 3.60 should now be available on GOG and you could try installing this version of course but I'm doubtful it will fix that problem. It really looks like a driver/DirectX issue (or possible a hardware one).

So again I'm very sorry but we have no solution, unfortunately. Please let us know if the new version fixes the issue for you but if not (and it pains me to say this) I would maybe consider a refund... :(
Fire Eye

Hi, and thanks for your efforts. I appreciate it.

I've installed 3.60 already, but nothing's changed unfortunately. Drivers & DirectX are up-to-date as well... I certainly hope it's not hardware-related, but then none of my other games have any issues.

It would pain me not to be able to play this game the way it's meant to look like, but perhaps the problem will solve itself with the next updates, or maybe I will have changed computer by the time the final version comes out. In any case, a refund is not necessary. I'm happy to support the game's development regardless.
Seith

Thank you very much for your positive attitude, it is greatly appreciated. And you're right, things could change in the future that might unexpectedly solve this situation.

Again, thank you for your support!
Fire Eye

Hi again!

I just wanted to give you a quick update. I just downloaded the last version on GOG (4.33), and the game is looking great again. I don't know which part of the update fixed the problem, but all the graphical issues I had are now gone.

The interesting thing is, before upgrading to 4.33, I had downloaded version 3.95 and I was completely unable to play it. Starting a new game or loading a save would systematically get me a CTD halfway through loading, with no error message... I kept the crash logs, just in case you'd be interested.

Anyway, keep up the nice work!