So um.. where is everyone?

Here you can chat about anything you like.
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

wow Thailand sounds a lot like Arizona. :) they also have 3 seasons, rainy, hot and "Oh my god don't leave the house it's hot out" :)

I've seen the rain ya'll get there at times.. craaaazy stuff. I don't kno whow you could just walk in it without getting sick. Is there any issues with acid rain or the fact there is such an air quality problem in China? does that end up carrying to where you are at all? (not familiar with the jetstream patterns out there)
david
'Ghost of a Tale' Community Manager

evilkinggumby wrote:wow Thailand sounds a lot like Arizona. :) they also have 3 seasons, rainy, hot and "Oh my god don't leave the house it's hot out :-) Is there any issues with acid rain or the fact there is such an air quality problem in China
I don't think most of Asia gets as hot as Arizona, it is bearable thank heaven. However, the air quality in the cities isn't great... a lot of building dust and exhaust fumes settling in the heat. Though I've lived in some of the very worst cities (especially in Dongguan, China) for this, and it doesn't seem to have affected me at all.

Walking in the monsoon rain is fun, really, but have a change of clothes handy ;)

As to the acid rain, sorry, I'm woefully ignorant about its effects in Asia
mousewings
Original backer
Original backer

Let's hope the weather does stay manageable in your part of the woods, evilkinggumby.

David: I'm envying the weather in Thailand and H.K. I was going to go to Hong Kong this winter but it didn't pan out. Despite my not being able to stand the weather at times (especially in the summer), it would have been a good get away from the snow and a vacation. The smoggy air affected me when I was there the last two times (I got sick one time). I could smell it right away when I got off the plane.

Warmer weather and no snow is nice, though.
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

mousewings wrote:Let's hope the weather does stay manageable in your part of the woods, evilkinggumby.

David: I'm envying the weather in Thailand and H.K. I was going to go to Hong Kong this winter but it didn't pan out. Despite my not being able to stand the weather at times (especially in the summer), it would have been a good get away from the snow and a vacation. The smoggy air affected me when I was there the last two times (I got sick one time). I could smell it right away when I got off the plane.

Warmer weather and no snow is nice, though.
Yeah it has been a brutal winter. Just as we got some nicer warmer weather and the tons of snow started to melt (though not nearly fast enough) we just got nailed with this new storm that spread freezing rain and snow across the region... yick.

makes for some really pretty images of tree branches.

(Image by Solledrache, my wife)

It would be kool to see GoaT have an area of the map explorable that was the result of a severe ice storm. It would be interesting to navigate such slippery conditions, but also seeing everything encased in semi-transparent ice would be fascinating. And you could have some broken ice/falling ice as possible traps/damage. Like knock an enemy back so it hits a tree and a bunch of frozen icicles and branches crash down on it and damage it. :) Maybe good for a boss fight..hehheeh

I am so ready for spring..
KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

evilkinggumby wrote:
It would be kool to see GoaT have an area of the map explorable that was the result of a severe ice storm. It would be interesting to navigate such slippery conditions, but also seeing everything encased in semi-transparent ice would be fascinating. And you could have some broken ice/falling ice as possible traps/damage. Like knock an enemy back so it hits a tree and a bunch of frozen icicles and branches crash down on it and damage it. :) Maybe good for a boss fight..hehheeh

I am so ready for spring.
Nice idea! I certainly want to see that in a game! The only game that I can think of that comes close to what you describe is actually Crysis 1 and Crysis Warhead. The y did the whole ice-thing really well, visually: Image

It's funny really (not so much for you maybe), but we've had a "terrible" winter in Central Europe in the sense that there was nearly no snow and temps usually stood above 0 °C. I remember taking a walk in a t-shirt around New Year... Since Munich (where I live) is so close to the alps and relatively elevated we usually get lots of snow during the winter. This year I had to get into the mountains to get my fix:

:p

tl;dr winter is OP in the States, needs a buff in Central Europe. Crysis is pretty.
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

wow that is a great shot..makes me want to actually play crysis just to see what it looks like. :)

Sorry for the bleak cold winter of no show out where you are. Currently that's what we're in for for at least the next week or so.. lots of dry but cold lingering air. bleh.

I think it may be possible to pull off the effects, I guess it depends on the engine's capabilities. There was a game where you played this cute lil alien that was captured by government agents and has to escape from the facility using a number of different weird powers.. the game used a lot of semi-translucent "gel" like effects to encase objects.. could work if they were properly texture mapped to look like ice... Gawd I can't recall the name of it now.. was a pretty fun game. :) we played it on ps3.
david

Crysis 1 and Crysis 1: Warhead were terrific games for their time, and visually stunning too.

I love to see snow and ice in games too! Technically, this visual effect is probably achievable in Unity with thte right material setup. I remember in CryEngine, it was easily doable. Getting ice-laden branches, or icicles, to fall on enemies is straightforward too, using a breakable joint setup or a triggered event, and the built-in physics functions.

I really sympathize with people suffering through a really long, tough winter. Weather patterns seem to have been a bit weird the last couple of years... I hope it isn't global warming.

As for me, Bangkok (and Hong Kong, which has better weather, cooled by the sea) may be a tiny bit too hot most of the time, but it is easily bearable.
YegorSwipe

Вопрос к тем, кто увлекается ставками на спорт. Какие сайтам вы доверяете, а каким нет? Потому, что я прежде чем доверять свои деньги кому-то читаю разные обзоры о ставках. А тут недавно наткнулся на сайт https://best-kapper.ru/
vicky0_

Hi! I'm the new one. I'm from Chicago