The greatest games of all time & what are you playing now?

Here you can chat about anything you like.
david
'Ghost of a Tale' Community Manager

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:27 am

I know we have some very passionate and experienced gamers here on this forum. So I'd like to get member's opinions on the following topics:
  • - What are the greatest games of all time, and why?
    - What are you playing at the moment, and how is it?
Here are mine...

Greatest game of all time: Goldeneye (Nintendo 64) closely followed by Crysis 1 (PC) and GTA Vice City (PC)
I'm a pacifist, but I love FPS and 3PS's... Goldeneye was so satisfying to play, and the multiplayer was fair, and fun! Crysis 1 is an oldie but I still mess with the North Koreans in this game occasionally, the AI is quite smart, and the suit's powers give some interesting tactical choices. I loved GTA Vice City for similar reasons, it offers decent tactical choices in completing missions along with plenty of opportunity to mess about in a fun sandbox world.

What I'm playing now: Darksiders 2 (PC) and Just Cause 2 (PC)
I'm downloading Darksiders 2 right now, because it looks like a lot of flashy, fast-paced fun. And I've been enjoying Just Cause 2 recently because though it is an old game, it offers a huge, beautiful sandbox world with lots of tactical options (a bit like Crysis and GTA Vice City), solid gameplay (once you get on top of the controls) and plenty to blow up! :lol:

I've been gaming forever (I remember Breakout and Space Invaders in the arcade) but my choices are really shallow in terms of story! On the flipside, I'm really looking forward to playing something a bit deeper, like Journey, when I can get my hands on a Playstation one of these days. In choosing books, movies and games, I do occasionally try out the heavier classics, like Dear Ester, but I'm mostly about fun.

I still believe that terrific, fun games can have great stories, interesting characters and thought-provoking ideas too: one day I'll find a game that is both fun and deeply satisfying as art too... though I suspect that Journey is this... and, hopefully Ghost of a Tale will be too! :mrgreen: Here's the ancient Breakout and Space Invaders, but modern games are waaaaaaay better:

ImageImage
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:33 am

Hoo that's a hard one. My moods change so often that I don't stick with a game for too long and swap back and forth. Likely why I don't always finish games.

The handful of games I always find myself going back to would be

Burnout:Revenge
SSX Tricky
Fallout 3
Persona 3 or 4

Strange assortment I guess. I love the gameplay and different ways to play Burnout, and even though I stink at racing games I love the fact after failing at a time trial or race a few times you can swap to something more aggressive and let your anger out for a while before trying it again. With SSX Tricky, I just love the controls, the overall level design, the "fun" and gobs of personality and charm the whole game has. I'm not much for sports games, so this is the odd one.

Fallout 3 because of my fascination with the decay of the world and this weird pre-occupation with wanting to see what stuff looks like after nature has taken it back. There has been plenty of modern movies and games that do this, so that's just fun. But yeah Fallout 3 was just fascinating, and the modding for it made it all the better.

Persona 3 and 4 are older games (originally) but I loved how they took typical rpg'ing and changed it enough that I really developed a sense of caring and interest in some of the characters and sub plots. They eat up a lot of time, but I've played the 2 of them many many times.

Currently Playing: What I am playing the most right now is Might & Magic: Heroes VI, but I am only on the second tutorial mission and not doing very good. I've been away from turn based strategy rpg's so I guess I just stink :)
Pulsar
Original backer
Original backer

Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:18 pm

I guess I haven't really played that many games and my age means I haven't tried too many classics, and so my selections are a bit random!

My favourite is probably Call of Duty 4, it was just such a good FPS and definitely my most hours in any game, which I guess is to some extent a good measure. (In terms of FPSs I find Crysis strange in that I think it is a hugely overrated game.)

I also loved Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (on the Wii, lol) but I haven't played any of the other Zelda games.

I guess a mention should also go to the recent Bioshock Infinite, with an amazing story and world.

At the moment I have just finished my Hotline Miami experience and I am playing World of Tanks (a random F2P a friend got me into), FTL and occasionally Just Cause 2 (have you tried the multiplayer mod beta? :D )

I think I would really like a game like Fallout 3, but it came out in a period where I wasn't really playing anything, or Skyrim, which my PC has only recently been good enough to play, and I often ponder whether to buy them but have decided to wait for the next thing like them as it seems too late to really get all the hours into them.
Raggon

Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:17 pm

Lol when I was younger I had the SNES and loved Yoshi's Island the best. Then we got a gamecube and played Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door to death. I'm not sure if that just had a great story, or I just was too easily pleased.
FrozenCherry
Original backer
Original backer

Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:25 pm

The current games I've been playing are:
Cart Life. About the life of three persons as they sale newspaper, or food from street carts.
Papers, please. About a immigration inspector in a fictional dystopian USSR-like country in 1982.
einarwh
Original backer
Original backer

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:54 am

Oh, that's difficult, since all lists will be incomplete and fail to do justice to some games. Some games I've spent an inordinate time playing though (in no particular order):
  • Pirates!
  • Civilization
  • Angband
  • Populous
  • Defender of the Crown
  • Monkey Island
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • The Witcher
  • The Bard's Tale
  • Ascheron's Call
  • King's Quest III
  • Ultima III
  • Faery Tale Adventure
  • Below the Root
  • Elite
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.
KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:20 am

Yoshi's Island and Goldeneye sure were great games!

The greatest game of all time...? Would have to pick Little Big Adventure 2, because I'm one sentimental bastard! Made by Frenchmen too btw!

Also highly recommended:

Archimedean Dynasty (Schleichfahrt)
Dark Forces II
Gothic II
Risen I
Faster than light
Dishonored
Natural Selection II (incredibly well done asymmetrical team based FPS/RTS hybrid)

I'm presently playing Master's thesis - Investigating the northern alpine molasse basin. It's very boring though, so I'll give it a little more time until the end of this month, before I'll return to Natural Selection II :D
JeremiahPena
'Ghost of a Tale' Composer
'Ghost of a Tale' Composer

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:04 pm

I've played far too few games to make a statement on the greatest games of all time. I play mostly indie games, with a few big titles here and there.

Right now I'm slowly making my way through Super Meat Boy, and Bioshock Infinite. I'm in the middle of Miasmata (really beautiful game, the best exploration in any game I can think of, and some truly terrifying moments), but I haven't actually started it up in a month or so.

On my favorite games list, Amnesia and Penumbra (first two) are the top, followed by the likes of Roller Coaster Tycoon (most played), Dear Esther, Portal, and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (on Sega Genesis).
I compose the music for Ghost of a Tale. Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeremiahpena
einarwh
Original backer
Original backer

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:48 am

So with respect to the second second question, not really playing anything in anger these days - combination of having kids that fill up my spare time pretty efficiently and not really having been spellbound by any game in quite a while - of course, Ghost of a Tale should rectify that :-)

In the meantime I've been spending some evenings with Defender's Quest and will have a go at Dishonored when it arrives in the mail.
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.
david

Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:56 am

such a wide selection of games, on a variety of platforms :lol:

@EvilKing... I have Burnout on my laptop, but I need a higher spec machine to play it properly... I'm getting too much control lag atm, but I'm lookin' forward to a quicker machine. My favorite car racer is Outrun 2 SP, in the arcade, which just controls so well. SSX Tricky looks great! Reminds me of the Alpine Racer arcade game I happily play whenever I see it. I love to ski and snowboard (and surf) so I'm still looking for a home option to scratch these itches :)
Image Image
@Pulsar... Just Cause 2 would be a lot of fun in multiplayer, I'll definitely look into that. It's weird though, I had a couple of Nintendos (N64 and a DS), but I've never played a Zelda game: for sure I'll be watching for an opportunity to try one out. Btw Seith is a Zelda fan. I haven't played Call of Duty 4, but I like shooters, so I'm sure that I'd enjoy it... also Bioshock Ultimate is on my future playlist. Its a personal thing, perhaps, but the sunny open world tropical island setting of the original Crysis, human AI, and tactical options were a lot of fun (aliens not so much).

@Raggon... wow, Yoshi's Island and Paper Mario, those are classics (that I've never played, sadly) from back in the day!

@FrozenCherry... Papers Please and Cart Life are two utterly mad slices of indie genius - who would have thought that they'd be hot games! It warms my heart to see such off-beat topics and themes explored successfully. Incredible! :lol:
@Einarwh... you are right it is incredibly tough to choose! You mention a whole bunch of classic and seminal titles, going way back to the early eighties.... what platforms were you playing on? I recall the original Elite on my humble ZX Spectrum and a friend's Commodore 64 as maybe the first first-person game I ever played... kind of made my dreams come true... an awesome spaceship-dogfighting and trading game. I love Rockstar's games, especially the GTA series, so I've wanted to play Red Dead Redemption for a while now... but I haven't had the Sony hardware to play it (or Journey).
@Kwisatz... If you liked Gothic II and Risen 1 you are in the right place - as you know Seith is certainly looking to them as references for GoaT, though there may be less combat. I'm intrigued by Natural Selection II and Dishonored... dammit if only I had more time and money!

@ Jeremiah... bless you, you musical genius. Even if you had recommended Desert Bus for the Sega Genesis CD, possibly the worst videogame of all time (deliberately), you would still be a hero of mine: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/e ... eated.html