The greatest games of all time & what are you playing now?

Here you can chat about anything you like.
david
'Ghost of a Tale' Community Manager

@EvilKing... I checked out a couple of videos on Valkyria Chronicles. It really, really looks like XIII, which is good because that was a sensational game. But your game has adorable manga girls with machine guns... so wrong, yet so beautiful... sigh :D

Darn that it is turn based! I like the immediacy of action / shooters (I had some fun with Worms 3d, which was also turn based). This is also why I also shied away from the Fallout series even though the premise interests me.

A second playthrough of a game -using the creatures that you killed the first time as the undead- is sheer GENIUS! I can just imagine them rising from the place they were killed on the first playthrough, with their original wounds and relevant body parts missing. I bet someone'll do this :D

Alberto

Greatest game of all time?
Quake.
And its two expansions - especially Dissolution of Eternity.

A nice, very playable weird bird?
Medievil.

By the way: David, is this website a brainchild of yours?
It's very polished and usable!
david

@Alberto... I did play quite a bit of freeware Doom but I never got around to playing Quake. Seith also played Doom fairly extensively back in the day, I'm not sure if he played Quake though.

I had a PS 1 and 2, when I lived in London, but I didn't get around to using them much unfortunately, I hadn't heard of Medievil... it looks intriguing, and I really like the comedic approach to hack 'n slash.
Alberto wrote:By the way: David, is this website a brainchild of yours?
It's very polished and usable!
Thank you! I assembled it and customized a few things, but imho most of the credit goes to WordPress (overall tech), Suffusion (WordPress theme), phpBB (forum tech) and Seith (for the graphics). Actually, Seith really liked the original Grimrock site and forum (it has changed a bit now) so we used the same tech and as a visual reference too.

Here are a couple of pictures of the Grimrock site (http://www.grimrock.net) as it used to look before... familiar eh? ;)

Front page:

Forums:
david

@EvilKing... it looks like one of your games is coming to the PC, and the people at Eurogamer are celebrating... http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... =net-daily

evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

omg yay. my biggest hope is they either sell it with VC2 included or they follow up with a valkyria chronicles 2 release as well, cause THAT has a ton more content than 1 did. If they updated the visual engine in vc2 to use vc1's design it's be even better. I'd buy it, for sure.

i may grab it anyhow. seeing the game render in 1080p with added visual tweaks would be nice. it looked great in ps3 but the aliasing jaggies on everything and some of the pixelization on textures was annoying. Most might ignore it, but when you sit close to the tv like i do.. more noticeable. hehehe
Alianin

I'm a sucker for an immersive story and fun gameplay. I grew up on the Sierra adventure games, so anything along those lines gets my vote. There's so many games that I remember fondly, so it's hard to list my greatest. Here's a few:

Day of the Tentacle
Ultima series
Sierra "Quest" games
Monkey Island series
Mass Effect series
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Games I'm playing now:

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Because Star Wars. I'm excited for Revan in the upcoming expansion.
WildStar - Great lore and gameplay.
Batman Arkham Asylum - The mechanics are pretty fun and I'm a completionist, so I love looking for the Riddler's puzzles all over.
david

@ Alianin... Due to my backlog, I've held off so far but I might find myself getting into Mass Effect 4, because I enjoyed the playing demo for 2 (or was it 1?). Again, because of backlog, I didn't get beyond the first hour of Batman Arkham Asylum but -with your recommendation- I'll give it another try. I bought the original Monkey Island on Steam last year, with the intention of getting to grips with it, but it remains untouched. Dammit I'd love to have more time!

I really, really liked playing the demo for Sierra's tactical FPS SWAT 3 (or was it 4). I hope they do a remake... they can take my money! I might even go to GOG to see if I can buy the full version of this classic. I'm hoping that Ubisoft's forthcoming Rainbow Six Siege coming in 2015 -which will have broadly similar gameplay to SWAT- will be decent. Coincidentally, after a dramatic ride with various owners, Sierra made a comeback at Gamescom 2014 (me and the GoaT team were there too!) where they announced Geometry Wars 3 and a new Kings Quest game.

And speaking of 'back in the day', though it was around close to the time I started compulsively reading and re-readingvideogame magazines -around 1982- and then, once we got a ZX Spectrum computer, actually playing games -around 1985- I never actually played (or even saw) a game from the seminal Ultima series. It has always seemed an exotic beast to me, so this afternoon I watched a Gamespot video (link below) to get a better flavor of what the series was all about. It will be fascinating to see how Shroud of the Avatar turns out:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/geomet ... 0-6421666/

PS. Here's an article from Eurogamer yesterday on WildStar, which appears to be in a spot of trouble (MMOs are fiercely competitive these days) but EG seem to be backing it: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... ar-out-yet

Alianin

Shroud of the Avatar has been a fun one to follow. They've included the community in monthly pre-alpha testing for a while now. I like seeing the progress from one build to another and all the work that actually goes into building a game. They're using Unity as well.

I remember playing SWAT when it came out. The only part I really remember is slicing the pie. It was a good game, but I'm not that good at FPS games, especially when you throw mulitplayer into it.

WildStar has had some rough patches in a cutthroat world of MMOs but I still think it has promise. I'm enjoying it for the great visuals, great ambiance music, off-beat humor and creative gameplay. I'm in the middle of some great world story lore.
david

@Alianin... its really interesting they are using Unity too, the Shroud of the Avatar visuals are coming together nicely.

I've played a lot of single-player FPS's, and I blithely assumed that I'd be decent enough at multiplayer... but when I tried it with Halo , Battlefield 2142, Battlefield Heroes, and Team Fortress a fair bit but -unless I chose a more supporting role away from the actual fighting- I was often cannon fodder! :shock:

I'm still hoping it was the lag from Hong Kong and China -because otherwise I'm just inept and cack-handed! ;) One day, when I'm in the US or Europe, I'll test myself fairly with a decent connection. I've been gaming since I played Breakout in the arcade, so there can be no excuses!

I'm rooting for WildStar!
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

ok i have to plug this. I haven'tplayed it yet but watched a vid by Jim Sterling of the first few minutes. Being native american, seeing a game that is based on the culture and lore of eskimo's just hit me the right way.

and the game looks like an interesting combination of magical, adorable, and harsh at the same time.

currently on sale on steam for 10% off. I can't wait to play this. it even has 2 player co op :)

http://neveralonegame.com/

david

@EvilKing... yeah, Never Alone is looking really special. I love what they have done with the Eskimo art style and using traditional stories. The developers seem to be putting together a really wonderful experience, on several levels.

It's awesome that you have a native American background. As you know, this would also be a very rich culture to explore in a game, many games in fact :mrgreen:
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

CUrrently I am all over the place playing a few different games. :)

Guild Wars 2 because I am friends with a dev on their team and aside from the initial purchase price, it's one of the few MMORPG's with no monthly fee's and yet has a crap TON of land to explore and things to do.. craziness...

Valkyria Chronicles 2 on PSP: I recently grabbed a sony psp 3001 and a handful of games for it including this sequal to a game i played the hell out of on ps3 and pc. :) the psp version is definitely a toned down, bite sized version of the other game, but it is not without its charm. I hooked my psp to my tv as I can't stand tiny screens, so I play the game on effectively a 36" widescreen instead of the psp's tiny 3" or whatever screen. :)

Catlateral Damage : kickstarted this and it JUST released yesterday so I only got 5 minutes in on it in litterbox mode but it seems cute. I can see that mode getting very lame after you get the initial feel for it, so I'll have to try and "goal driven" part instead, but it's worth a laugh I guess if you can get it cheap. very much for cat lovers lol

P3P(Persona 3 Portable, also on PSP): grabbed it digitally during the Atlus sales, this is a preened down version of Persona 3, with the option to see the story as a female protag. They made a LOT of changes to squeeze the game onto 1 UMD so a fair amount of 3d explorable environments are gone, which is a shame, and they redid a lot (but not all) of the voicework to allow for altered dialogues. They also cut down on the textures' detail and polygons for the characters so the overall look is lackluster to the original ps2 game, but the rest is still there and on a portable, thats a lot to appreciate. :) I may not slog through the whole of the game anytime soon, as it takes 100 hours or more, but I will pick at it over time.

Grim Dawn: this is still considered an alpha cause they're still technically buulding it, but there is a ton to play and appreciate if you get early access. this is one of the few games that is doing early access RIGHT. multiplayer works (more or less) and there is tons of content to mess with. It is done by a lot of the team at Iron Lore that made Titan's Quest, so there is a lot of similarities to that game to be had. Think "diablo clone" for overall game style, but with a weird apocalyptic fantasy world that is a mix of magic, swords and pistols and shotguns.. lol. I killed a lot of time working on a few characters in it and me, my wife and my friend all played a ton, maxing our characters level and mostly clearing the entire available map.

I was playing Dragon Age Inquisition for a bit but took a break to mess with other things. I do like it, just is a HUGE game and there is a lot to do and it is fairly tough in spots so I'm going to take my time and enjoy it. :)

I played the first episode of "Life is Strange" and the second just hit so thats going onto my "to do" queue. The first chapter was good, the voicework was generally good but the lip sync'ing was terrible. I will say it is fairly short and there isn't a TON to do, so it feels like a TellTale adventure game but with even less freedom..almost visual novel like, but with more options and branching than a VN. Your mileage with it may vary depending on if you like to immerse in a fictional world, especially one where you follow a slightly emo girl at a university in a mountain lake town trying to find herself and deal with a new.. ability she discovers.

Also am on the last dregs of Wasteland 2, though I hit a road block or five due to poor quest design and my lack of forethought with certain abilities. It is a fun game, I just need to grind a few levels roaming in random fights so I can knock out a quest that unlocks a quest that unblocks a quest.. sort of crap.. lol
alexzorg

Witcher 3
GTA V
Mortal Kombat X
alexzorg

evilkinggumby wrote:CUrrently I am all over the place playing a few different games. :)

Guild Wars 2 because I am friends with a dev on their team and aside from the initial purchase price, it's one of the few MMORPG's with no monthly fee's and yet has a crap TON of land to explore and things to do.. craziness...

Valkyria Chronicles 2 on PSP: I recently grabbed a sony psp 3001 and a handful of games for it including this sequal to a game i played the hell out of on ps3 and pc. :) the psp version is definitely a toned down, bite sized version of the other game, but it is not without its charm. I hooked my psp to my tv as I can't stand tiny screens, so I play the game on effectively a 36" widescreen instead of the psp's tiny 3" or whatever screen. :)

Catlateral Damage : kickstarted this and it JUST released yesterday so I only got 5 minutes in on it in litterbox mode but it seems cute. I can see that mode getting very lame after you get the initial feel for it, so I'll have to try and "goal driven" part instead, but it's worth a laugh I guess if you can get it cheap. very much for cat lovers lol

P3P(Persona 3 Portable, also on PSP): grabbed it digitally during the Atlus sales, this is a preened down version of Persona 3, with the option to see the story as a female protag. They made a LOT of changes to squeeze the game onto 1 UMD so a fair amount of 3d explorable environments are gone, which is a shame, and they redid a lot (but not all) of the voicework to allow for altered dialogues. They also cut down on the textures' detail and polygons for the characters so the overall look is lackluster to the original ps2 game, but the rest is still there and on a portable, thats a lot to appreciate. :) I may not slog through the whole of the game anytime soon, as it takes 100 hours or more, but I will pick at it over time.

Grim Dawn: this is still considered an alpha cause they're still technically buulding it, but there is a ton to play and appreciate if you get early access. this is one of the few games that is doing early access RIGHT. multiplayer works (more or less) and there is tons of content to mess with. It is done by a lot of the team at Iron Lore that made Titan's Quest, so there is a lot of similarities to that game to be had. Think "diablo clone" for overall game style, but with a weird apocalyptic fantasy world that is a mix of magic, swords and pistols and shotguns.. lol. I killed a lot of time working on a few characters in it and me, my wife and my friend all played a ton, maxing our characters level and mostly clearing the entire available map.

I was playing Dragon Age Inquisition for a bit but took a break to mess with other things. I do like it, just is a HUGE game and there is a lot to do and it is fairly tough in spots so I'm going to take my time and enjoy it. :)

I played the first episode of "Life is Strange" and the second just hit so thats going onto my "to do" queue. The first chapter was good, the voicework was generally good but the lip sync'ing was terrible. I will say it is fairly short and there isn't a TON to do, so it feels like a TellTale adventure game but with even less freedom..almost visual novel like, but with more options and branching than a VN. Your mileage with it may vary depending on if you like to immerse in a fictional world, especially one where you follow a slightly emo girl at a university in a mountain lake town trying to find herself and deal with a new.. ability she discovers.

Also am on the last dregs of Wasteland 2, though I hit a road block or five due to poor quest design and my lack of forethought with certain abilities. It is a fun game, I just need to grind a few levels roaming in random fights so I can knock out a quest that unlocks a quest that unblocks a quest.. sort of crap.. lol
too much explanation :P
johnlee

alexzorg what a comment :D
johnlee

you put the river in a glass :D :lol:
holmebrian
Original backer
Original backer

new games out now there are so many i cant list them all but Big Pharma and Digimon Cyber Sleuth along with Terra Tech are the games im currently playing!
sentoki

Ori and the Blind Forest is a great one! I was so touched by the story, gameplay and atmosphere.
A challenging, and highly rewarding platformer. One I won't forget for a long time.

Thomas_Huayra

To me, personally, nothing can top Far Cry 4. That's my very subjective opinion. Not a perfect game, but it's perfecter to me than the other games I've played. It's like Far Cry 3, but much improved and expanded. Bioshock Infinite is a close number 2. (B:I gets the gold medal for DLC, omg!). I won't list all the games I played, but I think all things considered, Far Cry 4 is very likely to be my favorite game in existence, even taking those I haven't played into account.

And right now I'm playing GoaT