The finest game soundtracks... ever!

Here you can chat about anything you like.
david
'Ghost of a Tale' Community Manager

@Vallug... I'm so sorry, I must've gotten confused while typing on my cell phone. I was actually replying to you, not Kandu. On top of that, somehow I mashed in my reply to Alberto's Time Splitters reference into my reply to you: what utter nonsense it probably seemed :D

@ Alianine... dammit, partly because I was playing on my laptop with small speakers but mostly because I'm usually oblivious to game/movie soundtracks, I didn't even notice the Bioshock Infinite (BI) soundtrack: not a single note. I know this will seem like a barbaric heresy for normal-eared folk, but for me even the finest music just disappears into the background unless I actively listen to it while not doing something else (playing a game, reading, watching a movie, studying, working etc.). I'm an ok listener and I like good music, but regrettably I'm a cloth-eared dolt when it comes to multitasking.

However, I suspect that the Bioshock Infinite soundtract is good -or at the least, very clever- because the other aspects of art direction were so excellent (I just couldn't get into the title because the gameplay didn't grab me personally, I think it was the uninspired AI... apart from Elizabeth). Personally, I found the BI story just fine -even very good- for a videogame. Interestingly, Seith didn't like the BI story, and was even moved enough to write a blog post on SeithCG about it. Honestly, I think his expectations for game stories are higher than mine. In addition his sensibilities with regard to storytelling may be more refined than mine too.

Anyway, I'll have a listen to the BI soundtrack!

By the way, THE Kwisatz Haderach is actually a member here on the GoaT forum, so he'll be exceedingly pleased that you appreciate his music. I just had a listen and I really like 'Stones' :D

JeremiahPena
'Ghost of a Tale' Composer
'Ghost of a Tale' Composer

@David, Not hearing the Bioshock Infinite soundtrack isn't quite as egregious as when a friend of mine managed to play through all of Portal with the sound entirely turned off. He asked me later why everyone thought it was such a hilarious game. I just facepalmed.
I compose the music for Ghost of a Tale. Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeremiahpena
Alianin

Speaking of Portal, I love this version of Still Alive.

To me a good game without music is like watching a suspense/thriller with the sound off. It's just not as good. Good music helps with immersion and creates a more memorable experience.

Bioshock Infinite had great art and music, even if the story lacked cohesion and credibility at times. I was willing to overlook it. Suspension of disbelief and all. ;) Watch this clip that shows the great imagery and music coming together to tell a story. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aInPv1OIYYs
KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

david wrote: By the way, THE Kwisatz Haderach is actually a member here on the GoaT forum, so he'll be exceedingly pleased that you appreciate his music. I just had a listen and I really like 'Stones' :D

Oh, hullo, chaps... errr.... my Fedaykin I mean! Sorry, I was a little distracted over the last months, Chani made me clean up the Sietch (I spilled a little Harkonnen blood). I hope I'll have more time in the coming weeks.

The Dune OST is indeed amazing, if a little too pomous and kitschy in places. Be advised that there are two versions of the soundtrack, both differing in content and recording quality. I can't remember which one of the two had issues with mastering and hence had some terrible wobbling to it. I was always used listening to the "bad" version" and when I finally "found" the "good" version, I couldn't believe my ears. The sound is just that much more brilliant and clear!
david

@Jeremiah and Alinain... I probably heard the music, and it certainly influenced my playtime experience, but I just didn't really listen to it. Yes, I realise to you that I'm a gross barbarian... hideous...

@Kwisatz... we understand you've been busy with your various exotic duties, and welcome back! :mrgreen:
Alberto

Max Payne 2

Killing Zoe (not a game... this one - "Z Names" is nice, though)
Erwin

Many of the point & click adventure games from the 90s (the only genre I played at the time), especially from before voices were introduced, were made with the realisation that aside from a sound effect here and there, you would really not hear much at all otherwise. Sierra and LucasArts came up with some catchy tunes. I still find myself humming the Monkey Island theme every now and then.

As for a bit more immersive, I would look at the Myst series.

The 7th Guest managed to capture athmosphere quite nicely.

Honestly, with notable exceptions, like the aforementioned Journey, and its spiritual predecessor Flower being excellent examples, for game soundtracks I tend to look back in time a bit more.