What are you currently eating?

Here you can chat about anything you like.
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:49 pm

I have a hot crock of homemade chicken noodle soup (gluten free) going and MAN the house smells awesome. Last week I made a batch of brownies frosted with cream cheese frosting. The weekend before that my wife made a big ol crock of yankee pot roast. It's the cold season here in Northeast USA so we got all kinds of comfort food going.

How about you? WHat are you currently cooking up, or what is your favorite dish?

Whether it be fast food, store bought or home made, let us know what kinds of stuff you like! We're scattered all over the globe, I am betting some of your favorites, even simple stuff like soda or cookies, is unique to your country and we'll be shocked and amazed!

Also, don't search google for "mouse with lots of food"... ugh.. big mistake...
david
'Ghost of a Tale' Community Manager

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:59 am

Well, I'm really lucky at the moment visiting Thailand. Even the street food here, bought from a wheeled cart, can be delicious and incredibly good value... like a meal for 1 or 2 us$.
I haven't tried anything really exotic here in Thailand, but I do remember a few years ago when my boss in mainland China took some of us out for a meal to a fancy restaurant.

Feeling a bit adventurous, I had scorpion soup as a starter, and in my bowl was about ten small black scorpions, fully formed but tiny... each one about the size of a fingernail. I sipped the soup, cautiously, but I couldn't bring myself to eat any of the little scorpions... things are a bit risky in China, hospitals and insurance are more lax than other nations... but perhaps I was too cautious :oops:
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:25 am

I hit a nice Japanese restaurant in Florida once that was where I tried a number of types of Sushi (not my thing, for sure) and I also got ot try 'gator bites' which was deep fried alligator meat. It was.. odd. Sort of like a mix between pork and shrimp meat. I ate it all but.. not sure i "liked" it.

Scorpions.. yeah I dunno if I have the testicular fortitude to even sip the broth. You're much stronger than me, David!! lol
david

Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:13 pm

@EvilKing... It's not bravery, I'm just dumb as a rock :P
Brownies and yankee pot roast do seem a LOT more delicious than alligator and scorpions. I admire you and Solladrache for buying the ingredients and cooking real food... you folks'll consider me an utter barbarian... perfectly happy with dehydrated noodles. I'm incredibly lucky to live in Thailand where food is convenient, tasty, and low cost. It's a lot healthier than pot noodles too ;)
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:57 pm

hey i've done stuff like that. usually would get the Nissan ramen noodle ones if I could. They're tastey (assuming you don't live on them for weeks) though lack nutritional content and are VERY high in salt. Sadly.. had to give them up most times.

But for ease, cost, and getting full, they definitely do a great job. :)

right now I am eating a naval orange i just peeled. Had some taco salad form leftover taco meat and baby romain leaves with a buncha added stuff. fairly healthy, but still damn tastey.
mousewings
Original backer
Original backer

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:43 pm

I love ramen noodles.

Ooh at alligator meat. A Cajun restaurant used to offer it in the evenings. I was curious but never got to try it, as the restaurant closed down.

Currently, I'm drinking a Canadian energy drink called Buzz Energy West Coast Energy. It's yummy and is helping with the mid-day slump.
david

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:09 pm

@EvilKing... your taco salad sounds delicious... now you've given me an appetite for it. I must check my local supermarket to see what lettuce and spinach is available in this part of the world. Even I can cook salad, and its so crunchy, healthy and delicious :P

@Mousewings...I've never eaten Cajun food, but I'd sure like to try it. Also, I was curious, so I googled your energy drink... the website is cool http://www.buzzenergy.com.. "a fair price for the working man!" :D
ImageImage

Darn you all, with this talk of food, now I'm feeling ravenous. It's time to hit my regular local shack (yes, it is really a shack) for breakfast... a fresh, light stir fry vegetables and chicken, with rice.
KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:51 am

Not currently, but a few nights ago, I ate and drank my brother's Christmas present:

Delicious Sushi and some great Japanese Whiskys to go along! I also learned that the French, in fact, drink more Whisk(e)y than US American's or the Brits!

That surely is the reason for the inspired games they create 8-)

edit: mhhh... Any way to resize pictures in my post?
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:57 am

I don't think there's a way to resize, the IMG tags are really basic. But David may be able to find a way. :) I usually manually resize and upload the altered to my photobucket. or shoot for medium sized pics when I cross link other's photo's.

whiskey and sushi.. interesting dinner. though was the gift a gift certificate or something? i can't imagine christmas sushi being that good this far from the holiday.. hehehe

currently not eating anything, just sipping coffee (called 'golden french toast). Yesterday for dinner we grabbed chinese take out, so I had some spicy beef something something with extra stir fry veggies in a spicy garlic sauce over white rice. It was good, but I wouldn't call EITHER dish "spicy" at all. had no kick whatsoever.
david

Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:43 am

KwisatzHaderach wrote:mhhh... Any way to resize pictures in my post?
@Kwisatz and EvilKing... sorry chaps, as far as I know there isn't an elegant way to do it with the current PhpBB forum setup. Like EvilKing suggests, if the image is too big, download it, resize it manually (maybe with Photoshop), upload it to an image host (like Photobucket) and paste in the link from there... the process is a bit clunky for sure. Kwisatz, I'll resize your images and host them for you: your whisky statistics are just astonishing, and your brother's Christmas present makes me drool with hunger like a cartoon dog.

What's interesting is that, though Seith is French, he doesn't really drink: this factoid happened came up in an interview when the reporter from the US was asking for advice on good Euro brews (Seith, do correct me if I'm wrong here). Wherever his many levels of genius come from, Seith's source doesn't seem to be whisky :mrgreen: