Video, Animation or films that remind you of GoaT?

Here you can chat about anything you like.
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

This is a thread for any of you that have found videos or other similar material that when watched have some feeling or idea that reminds you of Ghost of A Tale. I figured I'd make this because a friend of a friend posted this and it's REALLY amazing, adorable, kinda adult but also kind of adorable. SO, it is what I see in Ghost of a Tale.

Mean Teddies:

http://vimeo.com/97875604
david
'Ghost of a Tale' Community Manager

wow... those are some eye-popping visuals and a great concept, that could easily be a comic, tv show or movie :shock:

You are right, I think GoaT has a broadly similar cute-but-scary feel, with some adult themes. But what I've seen so far in the GoaT is not quite as dark as Mean Teddies. I think, if you blended a lot of Mean Teddies together with just a hint of Care Bear gentleness, you'd have the vibe of GoaT. As you suggest in another post, kind of close to Secret of NIMH, but cuter and brighter.
Alianin

Admittedly I've never read the comic and it's still on my reading list, but the little I've seen of Mouse Guard makes me think of GoaT. Secret of Nimh is another, but I do remember being scared of it as a kid. It also kind of reminds me of An American Tale. Legend of Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole is another one. Not for the animation, but for the feeling of it.
david

Yes, Seith hadn't heard of Mouse Guard until after the IndieGoGo campaign launched and a lot of people started comparing the first GoaT video to it.

I was curious about the comparisons, so I took a look and read a couple of the Mouse Guard comics... very good. I remember Seith, Paul and Cyrille at Gamescom, chatting about -what seemed to me- obscure Japanese comics, so I think they are all fairly hardcore comic fans. As artists (at least Seith and Paul are, and Cyrille certainly has artistic leanings though I know him as a coder) they probably have a special passion for that medium... so I really must ask them what they thought of Mouse Guard.

They are actually are kind of like an adult version of the Redwall books (which, along with Secret of NIMH, was one of Seith's inspirations for GoaT).

The Mouse Guard stories are more gritty and serious than GoaT, and Secret of NIMH is more scary than what I've seen so far of GoaT in the demo and the videos. GoaT is quite similar to both, but will be cuter and funnier: though I think Seith is aiming to be a bit more adult-themed than American Tale and Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole but with a hint of their light flavor.
Alianin

I will have to check out the Redwall books. It's amazing how entertaining kids and young adult books can be to adults.
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Ok since I have never read the Redwall series, pulling the trigger on the first book so I can give it a twirl. :)
KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

Redwall and Mouse Guard seem like obvious choices. I must admit I never read them and am not interested in ever going to, but following GoaT and these forums it is imposible not to know a thing or two about their lore and setting, which is apperently similar to GoaT.

Personally, I'm having a really hard time finding something comparable to GoaT in most respects. This is great and one of the reasons why I believe this game will be a huge success; especially when it comes to games, there is hardly anything to compare it to and I'm sure it scratches an itch of many gamers around the world.
Of course there are films like Ratatouille that feature small rodents and can both be cute as well as vaguely gritty, but overall, they feel far off from what GoaT seems to try to accomplish.

The only thing I can think of that really shares some of the main traits of GoaT (or what I think some of the main traits might be) are the Little Big Adventure games from the mid 90's. I know, I might sound like a broken record, having mentioned them before in any thread that allowed it (greatest game, greates soundtrack, greates kitchens...), but I feel they are really based on similar overall design ideas. The whole world is very toy-like, with biped elephants, cleptomanic rabbits, wizards and dragons and all... but the underlying tone is grim, dark and menancing. An oppressive regime is seizing control of the planet, abducting citicens and as soon as you leave your home-world the setting becomes more serious too. You're faced with slavery, betrayal, greed, cooptation and apartheid (on a genus level). All these themes can be found in GoaT if I remember correctly.

Other things these games share are:
- both made by frenchmen (they seem to be the only nationality in the universe to nail the cute and dark theme. Asians just always overdo it in both direction [no offence meant])
- both have rodent skeletons that will hit you with a club
- both have amazing soundtracks
- made with love :mrgreen:

Naturally, I could be direly mistaken and GoaT will be and feel completely different from LBA. Naturally, that is even highly probable. And desirable.
david

@Alianin and EvilKing... I'll be really interested in how you guys get on with Redwall and, if you get a chance, Mouse Guard. I think GoaT will be funnier than both, which I love... I love games with humor :D

@Kwisatz... I enjoyed Ratatouille (3d animated movies for kids/adults are great -Despicable Me, Shrek, Toy Story, Madagascar, Monsters Inc, Kung Fu Panda, Ice Age, Happy Feet, Horton, Flushed Away, Antz, Bolt.. that reminds me, I must watch Puss in Boots and Minions soon). Though, as you know, GoaT is a bit more violent than all of these... for sure! I didn't know that Little Big Adventure explored adult themes -its nice to see it came out on iOS and Android recently- and GoaT certainly engages with similar issues.

Like you, I'm hoping that Seith will bring his own home-brew flavour and French sensibility to his game and, I'm not a music buff, but imho what we've heard from Jeremiah is very, very promising :mrgreen: