Collectibles In Game

Share your ideas and thoughts for the game with the community and team.
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:21 am

What might you enjoy seeing as collectibles in the game? Should it have one large collection or a few smaller ones to unlock possible items/abilities/steam achievements?

A lot of games have this, and sometimes it feels ham-fisted and artificially injected into the game. But if it feels like a natural part it can be fun and offer additional gameplay and replayability.

I could see anything from sheet music to tasting every type of berry/fruit to various handmade bells left behind by a npc.

What would you think would be fun to collect, and what would happen when you get 100%?

Last edited by evilkinggumby on Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeremiahPena
'Ghost of a Tale' Composer
'Ghost of a Tale' Composer

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:55 pm

I would be quite glad to put together sheet music the player could collect. Piano arrangements maybe, or even lute scores.
I compose the music for Ghost of a Tale. Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeremiahpena
david
'Ghost of a Tale' Community Manager

Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:17 am

@EvilKing... you are 100% right, it is a very very finely balanced choice between including collectibles and not. Nice work with PhotoShop! :lol:

If collectibles are included, mouse food like nuts, berries and fruits (fit the game world so well), sheet music (fits the theme) and bells (just a lovely, lovely concept... is there a bell on top of the Tower of Periclave?) are nice ideas for sure.

The island of Periclave seems to have a lot of magical features. Perhaps certain food, plants and pickups on the island add powers (like stealth, shield, recovery or strength) to our hero, helping him to overcome obstacles and solve puzzles.

I know Jeremiah can come up with some mindblowing lute scores, and it would be great to have a place in the game where the mouse would play the scores that you found. Someone (EvilKing perhaps) mentioned a fireside at night, which seems like a beautiful idea. I'm imagining a fire in a traditional cottage, with a black kettle.
Or a bonfire on a beach.

This cheeky mouse prefers to run about mostly in the buff, but he does enjoy wearing hats... hats might be another collectible perhaps?
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:13 am

Actually Hats would be a great collectible too, especially if you had the option to wear them, or put them on a wall/hat rack in your den as a sort of 'trophy case' :) Even better if the various hats had a slight added effect when worn, and made the mouse either glow a vague aura, or possibly just changed the fur pattern/color. I'd have so much fun swapping from a black witch's hat and dark blackish fur to a snow white bonnet and albino mouse mode.. lol. and all the varied possibilities in between.

You could also have some fun and do the Rat in the hat and have a seuss inspired hat. :) or the Rat hatter and go a lil wonderland...
Seith
'Ghost of a Tale' Creator and Developer
'Ghost of a Tale' Creator and Developer

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:32 am

Haha. Some nice ideas there. I'm taking notes... :)
Fluke
Original backer
Original backer

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:13 am

I don't mind collectibles if they also provide an actual bonus to collecting them. Sleeping Dogs springs to mind - finding the prayer shrines boosted your overall health, so you got a benefit from going after them.

However, having collectibles just to artificially inflate the length of a game (and no, getting a trophy or achievement isn't classed as a benefit) always feels like a cheap trick to me.
david

Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:23 am

@Fluke I know what you are saying... sometimes collectibles/badges/etc. can be a bit pointless, but imho if the collectible is off the main path, and a bit challenging to reach/find, they can add an extra element of gameplay to players who enjoy this kind of thing.
YaelZofi

Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:17 am

Loved the concept of collectibles especially the idea of hats collections. I would love to see these changes in the game.
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:19 am

YaelZofi wrote:Loved the concept of collectibles especially the idea of hats collections. I would love to see these changes in the game.
I know right? What if one of the residents of the Island was a little squirrely and was obsessed with hats because he was an aspiring hatmaker. You are asked to try and find any hats you can and stop by his home so he can check them out and learn more about hats and their variety. If you manage to get/find all the hats he gives you a special hat made by him that is the ultimate wild hat of the game (something really out there, but so worth getting !) .

It'd also be neat to see the hero mouse with different hats on and figuring which woiuld best work with your outfit and character style. :)
david

Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:23 pm

A hats collection would be so much fun :mrgreen:

In the real world, we so rarely get to wear interesting and bizarre hats. Who could resist our mouse hero wearing a sombrero, a top hat, a skull cap, a Christmas hat, a wizards hat? No one!

Developing EvilKing's brainwave, perhaps a ship, with a cargo of hats from a famous hatmaker, was wrecked off the desolate shores of Periclave?