Costume Health Amount Issue and Solution

Share your ideas and thoughts for the game with the community and team.
Boolean

I noticed when you wear the full thief costume set, your health cap is raised. Unfortunately, eating food to fill up your health is a bit wasteful because wearing a full costume can prevent you from properly talking to NPCs sometimes - and if you remove the costume you lose that extra health you may have used food on.

I think the player should be able to take off the costume, and let his health appear to lower back to normal, but in reality it is still the amount it was when you wore the costume. That way, when they put the costume on again, it will return to the higher value. However, if the player is injured in any manner, the game should treat it as if they never had the health cap from that costume and their health would deplete like normal.

Basically, it goes like this:
1. Player puts on costume, health cap raises, they eat to raise health to new cap.
2. Player removes costume, health appears to return to three bars.
3. If the player puts on the costume again without taking damage, the health will return to where it was when they were wearing the costume.
4. However, if the player takes any damage whatsoever when the costume is off, their health bonus will not return when they put on the costume. They will have to eat again to reach the costume health cap.

This allows the player to take off the costume to quickly talk to NPCs if needed, and then they can put it on again without worrying about losing their health bonus.
DarnHyena

I do gotta agree, is a bit annoying how the health works when you take off a full set.
Fluke
Original backer
Original backer

I think it would just be less confusing to have a set health bar, and have different armour reduce damage by different amounts (armour already has weapon resistance values anyway).

Just increase the effectiveness of the different armour to compensate for not effecting the actual health bar.
Thomas_Huayra

Don't use food to regen health after changing costumes, save the food for when in combat. You can sleep to regain health. So I tend to switch outfits near a bed (room by the jail entrance, Silas' tower bedroom, central loot room in jail). That saves precious food.
Fluke
Original backer
Original backer

Thomas_Huayra wrote:Don't use food to regen health after changing costumes, save the food for when in combat.
I've played it enough now that the guards rarely hit me, and I'm hardly ever stealthy anymore. It's a bit bizarre that I'm actually losing more health from costume changes than by being attacked.
urbanwolf

Yeah, this issue really bothered me when I played. It made me not want to change clothes too much - though sometimes you're forced to.
Another option would be to have your health change as a percentage when you change clothes, so if you had 9 bars over-all, with only 6 of them filled, going back to your basic clothing would put you at 3 bars, with 2 of them filled.
DarnHyena

urbanwolf wrote:Yeah, this issue really bothered me when I played. It made me not want to change clothes too much - though sometimes you're forced to.
Another option would be to have your health change as a percentage when you change clothes, so if you had 9 bars over-all, with only 6 of them filled, going back to your basic clothing would put you at 3 bars, with 2 of them filled.

basically just simply shrinking and sizing up to match
Thomas_Huayra

My suggestion is to make the additional stamina from outfits into a separate block of stamina, added in front of the regular stamina bar.

So basically, when taking off for instance the thief outfit, the only thing going away is the outfit-specific stamina bar. When then putting on the pirate outfit, the outfit-specific stamina bar returns in full glory. Any lost health will stay lost on the regular stamina bar. So switching outfits would always make the outfit-specific stamina bar turn to full health, I think that's acceptable (you can't switch a whole outfit in combat anyway). Just make sure than when the regular stamina bar is emptied due to damage taken, that switching outfits does not kill Tilo. (+1 spare stamina on regular stamina bar)

Is that a good idea? :idea:
fakenina

Hey everybody, thanks so much for the suggestions, there are some great ones here. This issue has come up a lot over on the Steam forums too, so it's definitely on our list! I've compiled all the ideas from this thread, and I'll make sure Seith gets to see them. Any more thoughts, don't hesitate to post them here!

FN
JohnGreenArt

Maybe the health should scale proportionate to how full your meter is?

So, if you have full health in the minstrel costume, and switch to the guard armor, you'll get full health. If you have 1/2 health in the minstrel outfit and switch to armor, you'll have half health (and vice-versa.)

This *could* be exploited, because if you have half health in armor, then switch to minstrel, it will take less food to get up to full health then switch back to armor than it would to just restore health while staying in armor.

But that might be better than the current way costumes work.

An idea that could prevent exploiting that mechanic would be to have food increase health by a percentage instead of a set HP amount (like, instead of 10 points a food might restore 10 percent). That way when your health is down it won't matter what outfit you're wearing as the food would restore the same percentage either way.

Also, question about sleep: Does sleep ever *completely* restore health? Doe the hours slept factor in to how much is restored? I slept for 23 hours while Tilo was at 1/2 health, and there was till a bit of health left that had not been restored. But it was maybe 90% full, so the day of sleep restored a lot. Then I slept again for another 23 hours, but this time the health only restored a tiny bit more, and still wasn't full health. So I'm just curious what the system is behind sleep restoring health.
Boolean

JohnGreenArt wrote:Also, question about sleep: Does sleep ever *completely* restore health? Doe the hours slept factor in to how much is restored? I slept for 23 hours while Tilo was at 1/2 health, and there was till a bit of health left that had not been restored. But it was maybe 90% full, so the day of sleep restored a lot. Then I slept again for another 23 hours, but this time the health only restored a tiny bit more, and still wasn't full health. So I'm just curious what the system is behind sleep restoring health.
I think sleeping only restores 70% of health or so, so you can never reach maximum. It doesn't matter how long you sleep either, just one hour can raise the same amount of health as 24 hours.

I've been exploiting it. I sleep in the full armor set which seems to have the highest health bonus. The health can never restore to the maximum, so I put on the thief costume, which has one bar of health less than the armor - so my health is full.
fakenina

Hi!

Seith and I talked about the issue with switching between costumes and health today, and we think we have a possible solution, but need to discuss it further. As for sleeping, Half of Tilo's missing health is restored each time he takes a nap, so the increase is exponential, and will never reach 100%.