His Royal Majesty Alistair XIV

Share your ideas and thoughts for the game with the community and team.
Thomas_Huayra

Since we're invited to pitch our suggestions, I thought it'd be nice to share my idea on a character that may fit well into this game's story. I went specific with names and features, but that's just to paint the picture a bit.

Synopsis: A pleasantly dillusional and megalomaniac tarsier who lives in a lighthouse and thinks he's a monarch. He's friendly to Tilo.

I thought of making this character a tarsier, because those big eyes would be so fitting to his pseudo-posh and crazy personality (and they're tiny animals). The fact that a tarsier is somewhat out of place in this world and seems introduced from a foreign source, emphasises his strangeness.

I'd give him a name like His Royal Majesty Alistair XIV, archduke of Tippington Wells and earl of Nemlingshire. When Tilo arrives at his lighthouse, he is of course somewhat confused by this self proclaimed head of (a non-existent) state. Alistair XIV doesn't quite react to Tilo's questions or remarks, unless Tilo uses the proper protocol to talk to a monarch (Your highness,...). Crazy as he is, Alistair XIV unveils his plan to make a coach that can fly, so instead of a normal beast of burden, the coach will be pulled by dragonflies. At the time of this encounter, the coach is still theoretical, so at best there is only an empty coach without wheels in a small coach house next to the lighthouse.

He plans to fly to a probably fictitious land across the sea, because his cousin ( in reality clearly a non-related person, maybe a previously encountered NPC like Gusto/Fatale who is having a laugh at Alistair's insanity, so put a little hint to this in their cell like an unfinished letter) wants him to come to his ball.

Since the land needs a head of state while Alistair is gone, he has trained a sack of hay with a face on it to adequately rule the nation in Alistair's absense.

The significance of this character only becomes clear long after Alistair and Tilo met each other in the lighthouse. Tilo, as he progresses further on his journey, needs to get somewhere that's possibly across water, or perhaps there's another obstacle, so he can't get there. Then suddenly Alistair XIV lands his dragonfly-powered coach near Tilo, offering him a ride to wherever he needs to be dropped off. After dropping off Tilo, Alistair flies off into the horizon and they never see each other again. I imagine this coach to be held up by a balloon, while the dragonflies pull it forth as Alistair holds the reins. So you might want to make Tilo's original encounter with Alistair something that's impossible to skip. (otherwise it's be weird to have this unexplained flying tarsier coming in to offer help)

Tilo does not need to do any quests in particular for Alistair XIV, other than perhaps little megalomaniac things like fetch a pen that is literally right next to Alistair if Tilo asks for directions, simply because he's the archduke and he is meant to be served by his subjects.

All this doesn't exclude the possibility that Alistair XIV may indeed spring from a line of real monarchs, but even if that is true, the existance of the country as well as its line of rulers has vanished since the crisis. The fact that Alistair can live his life undisturbed is because everyone considers him to be harmless.

I'm starting to think my lacking image editing skills may harm my pitch :?
Thomas_Huayra

Thomas_Huayra wrote: Then suddenly Alistair XIV lands his dragonfly-powered coach near Tilo, offering him a ride to wherever he needs to be dropped off.
Entirely unintentional, lol, but suddenly I am reminded of an old viral picture from the internet:
Crinkem

Interesting!
I wonder what a tarsier would look like up close with Tilo since a tarsier is somewhat larger. I like the idea about him living in a lighthouse :D
Thomas_Huayra

Crinkem wrote:Interesting!
I wonder what a tarsier would look like up close with Tilo since a tarsier is somewhat larger. I like the idea about him living in a lighthouse :D
Yeah :D I mean, if Seith likes it, he can do with it whatever he wants or whichever animal he seems fitting! Or let him play whichever role in the story he likes, it's his game :)
fakenina

Wow, Thomas - this is a fantastically creative scenario, and a great character, I love it!
I like the detail of the sack of hay that's to rule in His majesty's place. I believe that's how it works when the Queen of England is overseas. :)
While I'm not sure there's necessarily room for a character like Alistair in this first game, who knows where Tilo will go next, and who he might encounter? I'm going to pass this onto Seith, and see what he says.

Thanks again, and you should keep writing!

FN
Thomas_Huayra

Haha, thanks, well here you have it! You can sell season passes on Steam and Gog for the Alistair DLC :D