Possible Console Version?

Share your ideas and thoughts for the game with the community and team.
Scrustle
Original backer
Original backer

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:50 am

I was wondering whether there would be a possibility of a console version of the game being made. Although I've already backed the game so I'll be getting the PC version, I've always been more of a console kind of person. There's also the fact that I don't own a powerful PC, and I've even had trouble in the past trying to run games that I apparently meet the recommended specs for. I'm not confident that I'll be able to play the game once it comes out, and even if I could I would probably have a better time playing on a console regardless. So I wanted to know whether that could actually happen. Consoles were mentioned in the latest blog post about creating textures; could that be a small hint at something?
Seith
'Ghost of a Tale' Creator and Developer
'Ghost of a Tale' Creator and Developer

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:02 am

Hi Scrustle! Well it's a bit early to promise anything in that regard of course, but it seems indeed very likely that the game will also see a release on consoles at some point...
Scrustle
Original backer
Original backer

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:43 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear you're exploring the possibility.
Gab_dC
Original backer
Original backer

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:38 pm

Sony are really pushing for Indie titles and better third party relations for their platforms. Fans have been asked to tweet a Sony rep (@giocorsi]) about any games they'd like to see on a Sony platform. I've done my part by recommending GoaT.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/08/ ... tion-team/

I'd love to see an eventual console release.
david
'Ghost of a Tale' Community Manager

Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:11 pm

^ @GabDC... excellent idea, I tweeted (@giocorsi]) just now. Everyone, please do this too! :D

Seith and I have talked quite a bit about consoles.

Unity, the game engine that GoaT is being developed on, is capable of publishing to most PC and home consoles (Windows, Linux, Mac, XBox, Playstation, Nintendo). Unity can even publish for mini console, handheld and mobile release (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Blackberry).

Of course, there is tweaking, optimization and testing involved for each release, so not all platforms have been successful enough yet (in terms of installed units) to make the whole process worthwhile.

Also, as you know by now, as well as decent gameplay, one of Seith's main goals is to have GoaT reach a high visual standard. Some platforms just aren't powerful enough because Seith isn't willing to compromise much on the visuals, but imho if:

- there is strong demand for GoaT on a platform
- the platform is powerful enough to run a very playable and good-looking version of GoaT
- the platform doesn't need an insane amount of time or resources to modify, tweak and test GoaT for

Seith might well go for it :D
Gab_dC
Original backer
Original backer

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:59 am

Great points, David!

With the PS4 and Xbone utilising more traditional PC hardware, I'm sure getting the code up and running with Unity will be a (relative) breeze.
Pulsar
Original backer
Original backer

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:03 am

I too would love to see GoaT on consoles. The PS4 may well be my next-gen platform as I'm not sure what (if any) type of new computer I will be able to afford.

I guess console ports should be ok to deal with for people who actually know about these things but when I read this article it sounded rather difficult! http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... ystation-4
david

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:07 am

That's a really interesting (and unusually detailed) article. As far as I can tell, the newly-assembled Ivory Tower team (including people who worked on Need for Speed, V-Rally, and the Test Drive series) didn't just build a game, they built a custom game engine to create The Crew for the PC. This engine was probably specifically designed and optimized for car racing games.

Then, like they describe in the article, the second Ubisoft Refections team ported the entire custom game engine over for the PS4 version of The Crew. Having two engines (one for PC and one for PS) would allow them to build other games, in addition to The Crew, and share the groundwork between (similar) engines and titles.

@Pulsar you are right, porting a AAA game or game engine for a new console like the PS4 must have been quite a challenge! :D For a PC, the process of building a game engine is a lot better documented and understood, but still a heck of an undertaking.
Pulsar
Original backer
Original backer

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:40 pm

@david I see, so most of that sort of work mentioned in the article will already have been done for games using the Unity engine?
david

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:35 pm

Pulsar wrote:so most of that sort of work mentioned in the article will already have been done for games using the Unity engine?
Exactly, a lot of the nuts and bolts things they talk about like memory management, rendering and threading can be setup at a more fundamental game engine level. The article is talking about porting The Crew game but, though it isn't explicitly noted, I'm fairly sure the interviewed programmer is talking about porting the engine underneath the game... he mentions 'engine' a couple of times. As you say, Unity already does this kind of heavy lifting in terms of translating for each platform.

Most game engines like Unity, CryEngine, Unreal Engine, Fox Engine and Frostbite (and this unnamed engine) do roughly similar things for their target platforms. They usually have systems that include realtime rendering, lighting, shaders, physics, skeletal animation, cinematics, events monitoring.

So, as a game developer, you don't necessarily need to build absolutely everything from scratch, or translate everything for each platform from scratch... though there is still plenty of work remaining to do! :mrgreen:

PS. By the way, here is a thread started by Diego in support of bringing GoaT to Ouya: http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?649 ... -of-a-tale