In-game references

Share your ideas and thoughts for the game with the community and team.
david
'Ghost of a Tale' Community Manager

Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:46 am

I really enjoy seeing clever/subtle/suitable in-game references to other games, movies, tv, music, memes, even people.

If you like, add your own ideas to this thread to reference your own favorites. Here are a couple from me:

Sun-worshipping squirrel
(Dark Souls reference)

Link's hat
(Zelda reference)

evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:58 am

a long dead fallen soldier (skeleton most likely) wearing boxers of the british flag (Fable 1 Reference).

A mid sized crate nailed shut with a vague stamp on the side of a heart that, when examined, seems to talk to you (companion cubes from Portal game).

Medallion (red) with a particular phrase on the back.. hehehe (Secret of Nymh Reference)

A small worm you almost don't notice that says 'ello' if you interact with it. (Labyrinth)

If you cook anything at a campfire with ham or bacon, there is a chance to see a weird fat bird careen overhead and crash into the trees. (angry birds reference)

I could do this all day.. i should likely stop hehehe
david

Thu May 01, 2014 1:47 am

Those are brilliant... the medieval companion cube and angry birds references are especially superb... really brightened my day!

:D

PS. I didn't play Fable 1, what were the boxer shorts doing? That's a brave dude to wade into battle wearing just (stylish) underwear :mrgreen:
KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

Thu May 01, 2014 2:48 am

Nice idea for a thread!

There certainly needs to be a reference to the mouse shadow in the second moon (Dune)!

Or the Muad'Dib (desert mouse and one of my many nicknames, for I am the Kwisatz Haderach) itself:

Sorry for maximum dune nerdiness.
Seith
'Ghost of a Tale' Creator and Developer
'Ghost of a Tale' Creator and Developer

Sun May 11, 2014 6:14 am

"What do you call the mouse shadow on the second moon?" :P

For indeed it must be said that you are... (pause for effect) ... the Kwisatz Haderach.
david

Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:03 am

Following up on EvilKing's excellent photoshopped image (below) on another thread here: http://www.ghostofatale.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=6&t=481... wouldn't a reference to 'hockey' be fun?

PS. for those who are -understandably- puzzled, 'hockey' is a thing, because Seith made a rare language error in the original IGG description of GOAT on the campaign page here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ghost-of-a-tale

"But my goal is to craft a small yet beautiful game with environments that look a bit like movie sets and characters that have a sense of stylization in their design, while retaining a certain simplicity and immediacy as far as gameplay is involved.

I know it sounds hockey but I'm really trying to recapture the sense of wonder I felt as a kid when I discovered the games from the 80s and early 90s. "

evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:54 am

LOL sadly Seith already dropped the bomb that there will be no hockey in the game and we should start litigation. I have my lawyer flying out to talk to him this weekend. :)

Though if he did put a stray hockey stick somewhere as an easter egg.. I'd be quite honored.. lol
david

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:25 pm

@EvilKing... your lawyer looks really fierce! :D

Yes, this was exactly my thinking... a hockey reference in-game somewhere.. a vintage stick, mask, trophy, puck, pictures, even an old trophy cupboard with some of these as mementos..

But it might be a stretch, I can't really imagine rats playing field hockey - its too civilized! Ice hockey is probably suitably brutal for the GOAT rats, but perhaps too modern for the period.

evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:32 pm

I dunno.. our local team is the Albany River Rats.. seems perfectly appropriate. :)

david

Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:09 am

... yes, I 100% agree that ice hockey would suit the tough and (probably) quarrelsome GOAT rats very well but -perhaps- the level of tech may not quite match the GOAT period, 'cos ice hockey was first played around 1875.

Then again, who am I to say... GOAT has a mouse that wears clothes, uses equipment and walks on his hind legs ;)