Recommended system specifications for the game

Talk about anything related to Ghost of a Tale here.
david
'Ghost of a Tale' Community Manager

Mon May 27, 2013 11:17 am

Update (April 02, 2014): Just to err on the side of caution, it is best to consider the following specifications as 'minimum', and not as 'recommended'. As you probably know, Seith is careful about these things, so it's best to keep on the safe side at this early stage.

One of our main aims is to make Ghost of a Tale to look really special. So, to get the best visuals, we'd recommend a reasonably high end machine that supports DirectX 11.

So, just to be safe, the recommended system requirements for PC are:

- Processor: Quad core CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955, Intel Core i5-750
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB Video RAM: AMD Radeon HD 5870, nVidia GTX 480

Of course, as you'd expect, we'll try to optimize the game so that it will also run on systems with significantly lower specifications. Closer to release, we'll be sure to post the latest news on minimum system requirements here on the forum for you.
Gab_dC
Original backer
Original backer

Tue May 28, 2013 7:09 am

By the release of GoaT, AMD and Nvidia will have released yet another generation of their cards, so I think these are very reasonable specs.

Cannot wait to see some 1080p / 60fps footage with all that new hardware Seith can now buy! :D
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:56 am

I have to agree. They are somewhat steep specifications but at least for the

graphics card side, it will be outdated enough that having an ideal video card shouldn't be impossible.

Sadly, with those specs, even my machine wouldn't be considered up to snuff, since I am running a AMD phenom II x3. at 3.0 ghz. I do have a nvidia GTX 560 TI though so most likely it would run fine, I just may not be able to crank the AA and AF and shadow detail to max. :)

So then if this is shooting for DX 11 stats, we are going to see DX 11 effects? have you decided what you can use yet?
Snowhawk
Original backer
Original backer

Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:22 pm

Hopefully I will have a new pc to play this amazing looking game.
david

Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:02 am

I've just been chatting with Seith. With his typical caution, he is a bit concerned that the recommended specs may not quite be enough to run GOAT with the full suite of visual effects enabled.

So, for the sake of safety, he thinks that it would be best to look at the specs mentioned in the first post of this thread as 'minimum' specs, not 'recommended' specs. For clarity, I've added an update, in red, to the very first entry.

Sorry, I know this isn't great news for people with older systems... but there is still hope. Seith is cautious, and GOAT isn't fully built or optimized yet so, apologies, but we don't have recommended system specs yet.
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:35 am

No worries i am in the process of upgrading my gaming rig to a new one. i have the power and cpu on order so far, but i have a parts list for the rest and am just waiting for the money and good sales. :)

by the time i am done i'll be well beyond those specs. YAY.

Also it shouldn't be too tough to turn down and tweak graphical settings to allow players with older systems to enjoy the game. Turning off stuff like certain lighting effects (Like AO) an d turning off AA and AF can help, plus a LOD bias for both rendering distance and detail of textures. I've seen a number of indie games include it so there has to be a fairly easy method (or a guide on the unity sites) to built a gui control for it. That's more of a "after the game is done" part anyhow, to see how best to optimize and get the game smooth.
Seith
'Ghost of a Tale' Creator and Developer

Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:55 am

That's right. There is no mystery though as to what's needed to best enjoy GoaT: a good gaming graphics card. That is the single biggest performance bottleneck. Nowadays all CPUs are more than enough to run the game.

Just to share an experience: the other day I was testing the game on an older (non-gaming) machine and running the build at monitor native resolution of 1600*1200. The thing was playable but not smooth at all (I'd say lower 20fps at best).

So I divided the game resolution by two running at 800*600 expecting it to look bad but I was absolutely stunned that the game not only looked almost as good (GoaT is not one of those games that rely on looking surgically sharp even at higher resolutions anyway) but the framerate was also quite smooth (average upper 30fps) and was therefore much more enjoyable.

Bottom line is: even if you have to run the game at lower resolutions, be assured that it will not rob you of the experience...
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:58 am

Seith-

Just an FYI if you want any alpha testing for performance, I currently can test it on
  • *Phenom II x3 3.0ghz with a GTX 560 TI and 1.25 GB DDR5 ram (windows 7 64 bit)
    *Phenom II x3 3.2ghz with a Radeon 5770 with 1gb DDR5 (windows 7 32 bit)
    *AMD 760k x4 3.8 with a Radeon 6670 with 2gb DDR5 (Windows 7 64 bit)
    *Intel i5 m460 2.5ghz(up to 2.8ghz) 4gb ram with Intel HD graphics chipset (64MB memory with shared 1.6gb possible) (windows 7 64 bit laptop)
    *Intel i5-3337u @1.80 GHZ 8gb ram with both Intel Intel HD graphics chipset and on board Nvidia GT 630m graphics card with 2gb ddr3 dedicated memory (4gb total possible through shared) (windows 8 64 bit laptop)
As well once I upgrade I'll be able to test it on:

AMD FX 8350 Black 4.2ghz x8 with 8 gb ddr3 and a GTX 760 4gb ddr5 on Windows 7 64 bit

I realize laptops are not ideal for this kind of game, but it can help in terms of lower end pc's trying to run it to give some notion. :)
Seith

Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:20 pm

Thanks for the offer Gumby, I might get back to you about it... :)
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:32 pm

I posted that a year ago so a few details have changed. my main gaming wig with the nvidia 770 GTX with 4gb ddr5 on the vcard is not running 16GB ddr3 ram and i could test the game on regular HDD's or SSD if necessary.

I built a work pc with a solid I5 cpu and in-chip gpu that was capable of running "Remember Me" at over 720p and medium to high settings with a decent framerate (the pc itself also hae 16gb memory)

the 4gb i5 with intel graphics now has 8gb memory (i upgraded it from the 4gb).

the rest I believe are the same. so still a lot of possibility. and I have a retro box I need to finish that is a dual core that could also be used to test. :)

-EKG