GoaT and commercial matters

Talk about anything related to Ghost of a Tale here.
KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:31 am

As an investor of GoaT and a no-bullshit man of hard facts I've had enough of all the idle banter about ideas here and suggestions there! Let's talk business: money, money, money!

Is GoaT going to be a success? Is it cut out to trigger rows of campers outside of the iGoat-store, days before the release of the next installment? Will Seith and David be up to the annual release schedule? Will there be a Ghost of a Tale: Ghosts?! What is the PR department up to, anyway? Busy, directing the TV live action trailer for GoaT, I hope!!!
david
'Ghost of a Tale' Community Manager

Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:19 pm

@Kwisatz... GoaT will be massive... bigger than Call of Duty and Warcraft combined. Seith already bought his personal aircraft:Image

As for the development team, it really is mostly Seith. He now has someone who helps him with some of the heavy duty programming (who will hopefully pop on to the forums one of these days). A few Unity game engine experts have also been pitching in with some specific technical advice, like how to make the mouse's fur really beautiful. There's also Jeremiah, the composer, who is insanely skilled for someone so young. My contribution to GoaT is extremely modest, just the website :mrgreen:

At the moment, Seith's PR department consists of eight elves. Unfortunately, they are new to concepts like 'email' and 'the internet', because they are more familiar with moon runes and pictograms. So it may be a while before they get around to doing the 'live action trailer'. :roll:
KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:47 am

@david
Thanks for the info! I'm reasured now, that GoaT will pay off! When the CEO flies his own jet, it always means it's a healthy business.

I'm sorry for this topic, as it was left as a stump. I actually wanted to flesh it out a bit yesterday, but lacked the time to do so. Joking aside, I'm genuinly interested in the commercial success of GoaT, the thread might have been a little premature though, seeing there is so little information about the actual game yet.

It's great to hear that the Unity guys are behind this! This could really mean the game gets hyped as a showcase for wha Unity3D is capable of, beyond the usual indie production. How the hell Seith is managing all this with just the meagre 50.000 € is beyond me!

Good work, the investor is satisfied with this quarters figures :P
JeremiahPena
'Ghost of a Tale' Composer
'Ghost of a Tale' Composer

Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:03 am

david wrote: There's also Jeremiah, the composer, who is insanely skilled for someone so young.
Thank you. Like Seith, I have made some extravagant... cough... investments. Such as my new home, as shown here:

I compose the music for Ghost of a Tale. Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeremiahpena
david

Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:21 pm

david wrote:Jeremiah, the composer, who is insanely skilled for someone so young.
@JeremiahPena in fact I should express my apologies to you for my poor expression. I should have actually have said, "Jeremiah, the composer, is insanely skilled. I find it a bit stunning that he is so young."

I've expressed before my intuition that music is somehow close to the heart of GoaT. http://www.ghostofatale.com/forum/viewt ... f=13&t=205 From what I've heard so far, thanks to Jeremiah, GoaT just might have an award-winning game soundtrack. I know it might sound like I'm flattering or hyping... but this is truly my humble opinion.
david

Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:33 pm

KwisatzHaderach wrote:I'm sorry for this topic, as it was left as a stump.
@Kwisatz Actually, what a fun and interesting thread! As you say, I think this will be an awesome discussion when GoaT is a bit farther along, and we have more info... say in about 6-8 months. With regard to GoaT as a possible Unity showcase, it would be great if something like this comes about: during the IGG campaign, David Helgason (Unity CEO) personally tweeted out his admiration for GoaT, and Unity features GoaT in the gallery of the website: http://unity3d.com/gallery/made-with-un ... -of-a-tale
JeremiahPena wrote:my new home, as shown here:
I should mention to the community that, for all of your protection, I had to photoshop Jeremiah's photo above of his swimming pool and penthouse. Jeremiah is a musician, and we all know how twisted and depraved that musicians's habits are... darned warped rockstars.

So, although the above image is now quite innocent-looking, it took me hours to airbrush the naughty parts of it out. So now, on the edited photo, you can no longer see Jeremiah's harem of bikini girls, his crates of booze and his piles of illegal substances: often found around (and in) his huge swimming pool. Jeremiah may be a genius, but he's definitely a very sick puppy. :mrgreen:
KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:12 pm

JeremiahPena wrote: Thank you. Like Seith, I have made some extravagant... cough... investments. Such as my new home, as shown here:

Oh, fantastic! Where is the fence for protection against all the groupies and paparazzo though?

I'm just very happy for you and your new home. After I spent my brother's last savings for funding this game, me and my family moved houses too! Can you believe it! It is an adorable little mansion too:

We're all very happy! On good nights we even have a cow or two chiming in from the near paddock to keep the kids warm, now that it is growing cold outside. But, as I said, we are all very happy that Seith got his lovely new jetplane and Jeremiah has got his neat new home!

Well, to actually add some substance here: I can't but sing with the wolves in saying that what I heard so far from Jeremiah is some of the finest soundtrack that I ever heard. I got the track on my player and listen to it almost daily, it never gets old. There are so many nuances and interwoven motives in it and I just love how dynamic it is! As I mentioned in a diffeerent thread (http://www.ghostofatale.com/forum/viewt ... f=10&t=209) I believe that music in games has a major impact on your emotional response to it. GoaT will surely create a devoted following and I hope it will be a commercial success too. And I'm convinced that the soundtrack will do its part to achieve that!

Right, I now have to turn off the computer, my wife is running out of breath on the dynamocycle :)
Seith
'Ghost of a Tale' Creator and Developer
'Ghost of a Tale' Creator and Developer

Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:05 am

I just wanted to clarify that my new private jetplane was thoroughly funded by the dividends of the campaign. As a result it is entirely made of paper-mache (not quite noticeable on David's flattering picture) and therefore tends to wobble and generally change shape during heavy rains.

Still, it's the lightest $50.000 private jetplane out there! Well, except when it rains of course...
david

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:47 pm

KwisatzHaderach wrote: After I spent my brother's last savings for funding this game, me and my family moved houses too!
@Kwisatz... you still have a shack, with cows, and a dynamocycle. Have you considered selling these to buy a further GoaT upgrade? Surely you can see from the photo below how happy your family would be in a bivouac... the guy in this photo is smiling broadly :D
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:23 pm

david wrote:
KwisatzHaderach wrote: After I spent my brother's last savings for funding this game, me and my family moved houses too!
@Kwisatz... you still have a shack, with cows, and a dynamocycle. Have you considered selling these to buy a further GoaT upgrade? Surely you can see from the photo below how happy your family would be in a bivouac... the guy in this photo is smiling broadly :D
Ya know.. even BETTER.. just make an igloo.. those cost nothing to create (besides sweat equity). then you can invest a LOT more into this glorious project and ensure that Seith and David and Jeremiah are able to properly afford the pampering they so deserve :)