Ghost of a Tale in Indie Statik's 100 Most Anticipated

Talk about anything related to Ghost of a Tale here.
JeremiahPena
'Ghost of a Tale' Composer
'Ghost of a Tale' Composer

Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:05 pm

Look at that, folks! Ghost of a Tale is in Indie Statik's 100 most anticipated indie games of the year: http://indiestatik.com/2014/01/01/indie-games-2014/
I compose the music for Ghost of a Tale. Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeremiahpena
Seith
'Ghost of a Tale' Creator and Developer
'Ghost of a Tale' Creator and Developer

Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:17 pm

Yay for us! :D
david
'Ghost of a Tale' Community Manager

Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:04 pm

Terrific stuff!

It is great to see GOAT getting on the radar of video game journalists, even while it is still deep in development.

:D
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:16 pm

I am happy ot see this, but totally not surprised. Everyone and their mother wants this game. :) how could they NOT :)
KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:20 am

evilkinggumby wrote:Everyone and their mother wants this game. :)
And their grandmother!

Nice to see the game is so anticipated! It is in good company too, as far as I can say; pretty swell list.

I'm unsure of the game description, if it really captures what the game will be about in the end. It feels a bit off to me, uninspired. But who am I to judge at this point (maybe Seith even wrote it himself?).
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:55 am

KwisatzHaderach wrote:
evilkinggumby wrote:Everyone and their mother wants this game. :)
And their grandmother!
Hey don't forget Grandfather!

I was talking about various fundraisers I had backed with a friend that also usually helps kick stuff off and looked at my history and began to see this trend. I think almost every one that got funded has managed to blow past their expected release date and will likely end up releasing anywhere from 4-6 months or more after it. :)

So that means games with a whole team of people (at least 1 coder, 1 digital artist, 1 concept designer, 1 composer/audio tech and 1 director/levell designer) struggle to get it done when they figure they could. In some cases the game they're making is already fairly finished and the kickstarter is to give it polish and professionalism.

All this considered I look at Seith and his endeavors and really I don't see how he has gotten so much done alone. I know he has help for certain aspects of the engine, but beyond that the climb for him looks..monumental. I wish I knew more about the Unity engine and doing 3d characters so I could help. :) So total respect to him and if/when this project ends up running long and people are itching with anticipation.. or worse.. grow apathetic and forget about it, I'll just be here happy and patient. :)
david

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:10 pm

KwisatzHaderach wrote:I'm unsure of the game description, if it really captures what the game will be about in the end. It feels a bit off to me, uninspired. But who am I to judge at this point (maybe Seith even wrote it himself?).
Actually Kwisatz, you are exactly right imho... the GOAT description on the main blog page, above the video, is bland and uninspired.

*shamed cough*

I have to confess that it is mine. I'll update it very soon though :idea:
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:30 pm

Combat is inspired by Dark Souls,
This.. i am a little iffy on. Dark souls (and it's original, Demon Souls) are hardcore brutally punishingly tough combat games. they are satisfying and well made, and they have a loyal following of folk willing to muster the patience and determination to master and finish the game.. but is that what this game is about?

Using that comparison may very well attract a lot of hardcore gamers who, if the game is not akin to that challenge, will be very critical of the game. on the other side, if the game IS that hard to do (in terms of combat) a lot of the less hardcore gamers who think the game is going to be fun puzzle stuff with some combat will be turned off because of the scathing difficulty..

So this makes me really wonder which way the game is going to go. I'm not one for Dark Souls level hard combat. I don't mind action games but when you cite that game as what GOAT is inspired by.. it makes me very fearful (and I imagine others may also second guess it).
david

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:53 pm

Sorry, I was thinking of this description underneath the video on the first page of the site, the blog page."Ghost of a Tale is the adventure of a minstrel mouse exploring the mysterious and dangerous island of Periclave."

Were you folks thinking of something else? :oops:
  • @EvilKing... Looking at the original IndieGoGo description of GOAT, you are right. From what we know so far, combat won't be at the heart of GOAT in the same way that combat is the core of Dark Souls and Demon Souls. Seith did move away from this emphasis during the IGG campaign:

"You shouldn't expect a straight monster-bashing action game. Nor should you expect a purely cerebral adventure game with no elements of action at all. The game will be a mixture of both genres (most commonly referred to as "action-adventure with a hint of RPG")."

However, I do think Seith partly meant by saying "combat is inspired by Dark Souls" that the mechanics of GOAT combat (not necessarily the difficulty or frequency of occurrence) might be a bit similar to Dark Souls.
@Kwisatz and EvilKing... I agree, for me also the quality of GOAT is more important, and I'm happy to wait for an extra few months to allow Seith to add that bit of extra magic.
KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:55 am

david wrote:Sorry, I was thinking of this description underneath the video on the first page of the site, the blog page."Ghost of a Tale is the adventure of a minstrel mouse exploring the mysterious and dangerous island of Periclave."

Were you folks thinking of something else? :oops:
Yes, I (and evilkinggumby) was refering to the Indiestatik description, which reads:
This plucky mouse came out of nowhere last year as it emerged on Indiegogo and was successfully funded for its treacherous trip around the island Periclave. Lionel Gallat decided to take his animation skills put to good use at Dreamworks and Universal and turn them towards his own immersive Medieval adventure in which a mouse ventures for great treasures. The trip consists of travelling to the Tower of Periclave, which is where the treasure is said to be kept, but there are undead rats and other creatures that will stop the mouse. Combat is inspired by Dark Souls, and there will be plenty of secrets to find, journals to read that flesh out the game’s anthropomorphic fantasy world and clues to find to aid you in puzzle solving and general exploration.

There are a few things in there that make me scratch my head, most of which is nit-picking though. For example:

was successfully funded for its treacherous trip around the island Periclave.
Mhhh... Really? Treacherous? This term just never crossed my mind when I thought about the game. I have the feeling it was just used to have the obligatory aliteration in the text.

The trip consists of travelling to the Tower of Periclave, which is where the treasure is said to be kept, but there are undead rats and other creatures that will stop the mouse.
I find the wording strange; they WILL stop the mouse, they won't TRY to stop the mouse? What do they know that I don't know?

Combat is inspired by Dark Souls.
Well, what evilkinggumby posted is representative of how I feel about this passage.

I find the blog page video description very accurately in line with the expectations I have of the game.