How Can I pre-order/support This game?

Talk about anything related to Ghost of a Tale here.
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Initially this is more of a question thread where I pose that question to David and Seith. With the increase in exposure of the game over time, I think it will draw in more potential for newcomers to want to get a pre-release copy purchased (those that missed the indiegogo fundraiser) and I haven't seen anything in place to accept funds. Maybe I am missing it?

If you guys have a system in place, maybe alter this thread or just make it more prominent? I'd actually like to see a list of possibilities for pre-order and invest in them when possible. :)

Anyone else looking for ways to order the game or invest in its' development? What kinds of packages would you like to see? Are you all about digital goodies or physical goodies?

-ekg

KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

That is a great idea, evilkinggumby! I'd actually be happy to throw some more money at Seith and his gang atm. I want to see what kind of yacht they'd go for :D
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

KwisatzHaderach wrote:That is a great idea, evilkinggumby! I'd actually be happy to throw some more money at Seith and his gang atm. I want to see what kind of yacht they'd go for :D
LOL why not a Yacht with a Helipad and maybe their own luxury copter?

In all seriousness though, I think there's a good chance folk anticipating the game woudl love to plunk in and lock on a pre-order, but may not know how.

As well I only got a simple digital download copy + soundtrack version due to my financial situation when the indiegogo kicked off. If we had a purchasing options I'd gladly consider bumping it up to something better, like a Physical copy (or collector's edition even!).
Last edited by evilkinggumby on Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

Yea, I feel the same actually. I was just joking around. I really think you are on to something!
david
'Ghost of a Tale' Community Manager

I think you both raise a perfectly valid point. It is difficult for people to get on board with GOAT now that the game is between the IGG campaign and launch.

Seith and I talked about this and, to this end, I built the shop here on this site... for 'slacker backers'... the store is fully functional, but Seith has put a hold on opening it.

He's being typically cautious, and waiting until the game is a bit further down the development path. I guess, with the game being fully funded a lot of the pressure is off for the moment.

However, it would also be great to have some more GOAT backers :mrgreen:

PS. @EvilKing... the boxed set really looks terrific. I simply MUST have one. @Kwisatz... Seith and Jeremiah's personal wealth now exceeds the GNP of several developing nations, combined ... and though they are both brilliant in their own way, regrettably, there seems to be no end to their hedonistic excesses... buying yachts, gold-plated helicopters, pacific islands (complete with islanders), and rolex watches for their pets, etc. *clicks tongue* :lol:
KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

Seith is a wise captain, steering this ship safely through untested waters. I'm sure he is doing the right thing although his motivs are hidden from me. I'm having difficulties wrapping my head around the dependency of the game's developement status and the opening of that shop. No mutiny intended but I WANT THAT RAT PLUSHIE! Just sayin' oh captain, my captain.
david

KwisatzHaderach wrote:I'm having difficulties wrapping my head around the dependency of the game's developement status and the opening of that shop. No mutiny intended
:lol: exactly... exactly... that thought crossed my mind too
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Wait.. what rat plushie? I didn't see a GoaT plushie?! *cries*

But seriously, I can guess at why Seith may ward on the side of caution when it comes to the "Shop". When you weight a lot of unknown factors in it starts to make a little sense.

Game length: Only he knows how truly large or small the game would be. Without a true set concept for this, which I don't think he fully has realized yet, he wouldn't know if the game is fairly small and so shouldn't cost too much when layed against other similar indie titles, or if it's actually HUGE and should fetch a nicer price. I am sure he doesn't want to rip off consumers, or himself in this process.

Game release: despite the best of intentions, many of these kickstarter/indiegogo campaigns hit unexpected hurdles. Loss of staff, problems with engine, issues with hardware, licensing, time, etc etc. If , god forbid, something happened that ultimately stopped development for an extended period (or indefinitely) how would he have to handle that?

Contract with a Publisher: We had a bit of a back-n-forth oin this and though Seith attested to nothing currently in place or in the works where the property would be sold or bought up by a publisher/developer, he did not say it was outside of the realm of possibility. With that in mind, there could be potential franchise rights, deals, or other back-burner stuff that could be brewing or potentially coming down the road, that having the eshop going could cause a wrinkle.

Cost: he likely will need to revisit the vendors and fabricators to make physical copies of the game, shirts, casts of the skeletal rats, etc and THAT could mean changes to upfront costs, which may require raising the purchase price for the product to us. If he has not re-kindled those connections, then I can see why he may want to wait before slapping a price on the items.

Market changes: If he guesstimates the cost for any of that and then it proves wrong later, it will look bad when the prices change. If they go up, people will cry foul that he is greedy and screwing over his fans. If they went down, those who pre-ordered would cancel it or file a complaint due to being charged more than necessary. Either way Seith looks like a right jerk, despite his good intentions.
david

@EvilKing... yes, you are right of course. Especially with all the effort and uncertainty that goes into sourcing, storing and distributing physical products, like boxed sets, tshirts and plushies.

However, I do think that he is being a just a bit too cautious about opening the store for digital products though (downloadable things like the game, beta access and music). People who missed the IGG campaign or those who, like you, wish to upgrade... may find it a bit frustrating.

But I do understand his caution also... GOAT isn't a crass grab-all commercial venture... Seith is crafting much more than this imho, something that will last the test of time.
evilkinggumby wrote:Wait.. what rat plushie? I didn't see a GoaT plushie?! *cries*
The rat plushie is 100% made from petrified bone... its very cuddly.
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

david wrote:The rat plushie is 100% made from petrified bone... its very cuddly.
LOL ohhhhh......

I guess I missed that. My bad :)
Alianin

Has there been any update to this? I just found out about this amazing game today and would love to throw some money/support toward its development.
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Alianin wrote:Has there been any update to this? I just found out about this amazing game today and would love to throw some money/support toward its development.
Welcome to the forums! I'm glad you caught wind of this great project. :)

Currently as far as I have seen, the only step you could take is on the blog section of this website, on the right side about 1/2 way down under the "Follow me" buttons is a form to input your name and email so you get notices when pre-orders start and other updates. Following Seith on facebook and other social media is also a great way to keep up to date.

That's it though. There is no official form/store/method to pre-order the game itself.

David is more the aficionado though so hopefully he can better explain. I'm just a regular here, not officially attached to anything. :)
david

@Alianin... welcome to the GoaT forum: it's really nice to have you on board! :D

Exactly as EvilKing says, the best way to get news of any launches is to sign up for notification on the Subscribe section of the front page of this site in the right hand column.

Of course, for more frequent news and general chat, feel free to join us on Twitter (@SeithCG), Facebook (Ghost of a Tale), YouTube (SeithCG), the front page blog (an RSS feed is available for updates) and here on the forum of course. Hopefully you have plenty of option to keep tabs on GoaT as it progresses towards launch in 2015! :mrgreen:
KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

Any news on a shop for preordering the game or some out-game goodies (now that it's cold outside I want my original Tilo's Hat!)?

With the prominent press coverage lately I'm sure there are plenty of people looking for a way to throw further funds at the game. To circumvent most issues that evilkinggumby so rightly mentioned in this thread, why not offer an Earliest Access (not just EARLY Access mind you! So it's not on Steam Early Access) version of the game? That way you wouldn't have to decide on a final price tag just yet and you'd also strongly suggest that the game is far from finished and playable (for the average consumer), allowing both the customer and the developer to fiddle and explore the game in a more intimate and relaxed environment. Maybe Seith would even get enough money to hire another dev fulltime... Developers Unknwon Worlds (Natural Selection 1 + 2, currently working on Subnautica and Future Perfect) are doing this, with great success I might add. Now, I know Seith's take on development is VERY different - how could it be in kind, him being a solitary dev, them being a decently sized studio. I know he likes to keep things to himself, brewing his code in secrecy but I'm sure there would be a way to adapt the model to his preferences.

I'm fairly certain that is not gonna happen and I stay by my statement that Seith knows best what he is doing and what he is going to do. Nevertheless, thinking of all these moneys and hats that are to be had, I felt the need to at least make a random suggestion :)
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Oh sorry Kwasatz, the pre-order has been going for months now and we even had a lot of 100 collector's editions that got snagged up while you were gone so you just missed it! All pre-order copies possible have been claimed so at this point you will have to just give up all hope and sell your children on ebay to buy one from someone reselling it for 300x it's cost. :)

hehehehe

Just kidding. Hopefully they update the site to allow for some type of demo or pre-order soon. That article was pretty awesome coverage!
david

Yeah, EvilKing's sweet GoaT special edition (lovin' it!) is positively a bargain at a mere US$ 1,500 ;)

Especially considering a single copy of an NES game reached US$ 100,000 in the last 11 hours :shock:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/super- ... 0-6424548/

Kwisatz, you make some valid points for sure, and there are quite a few ways to approach this. 'Earliest Access' or 'Beta Access' are both good ways of expressing a playable experience that is a very limited slice of the final game.

imho Seith's auteur one-man-band appexroach is VERY cool, though one could also argue for an expanded team... really tough call this one :?

I think you'll both be pleased to know that, though I won't promise anything, because the timing is Seith's decision -and he is wisely cautious- but the wheels are definitely in motion for a certain SOMETHING to happen on the site.
KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

david wrote:...the wheels are definitely in motion for a certain SOMETHING to happen on the site.

OMG... Half-Life 3 confirmed!!!
KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

evilkinggumby wrote:Oh sorry Kwasatz, the pre-order has been going for months now and we even had a lot of 100 collector's editions that got snagged up while you were gone so you just missed it! All pre-order copies possible have been claimed so at this point you will have to just give up all hope and sell your children on ebay to buy one from someone reselling it for 300x it's cost. :)

Oh screw y'all! Now I know why they call you the evil King! But no! I will NOT give up all hope! I still have my family! Family is all that counts in life! Especially if they can net you enough moneys to be able to afford the GoaT collector's edition.

Bids are now being accepted:

Last edited by KwisatzHaderach on Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

david wrote: ... imho Seith's auteur one-man-band appexroach is VERY cool...
Confess, david! You have been typing on one of these devilish mobile devices! I just wasted 5 minutes of my life searching for the figurative meaning of a one-man-band apexroach!!! :evil: I thought "well, what the hell is an apexroach?! A very pointy roach? A roach with a beak? And what - for crying out loud - has it got to do with a one-man-band?!". Only when I saw the second "p" in appex[] it doomed on me what you meant to write... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll send you many Apexroaches to avenge the lost minutes of my life!
david

@Kwisatz... you are right, 'appexroach' is the product of my clumsy, stubby fingers typing on my cellphone and it was meant to be 'approach'. You've earned a US$0.50 cent discount on the US$1,500 GoaT special edition. Seith (tm) will also include signed photos of himself on the deck of his shiny new mega-yacht :D

It is true, kids are great: they can be sold at auction or put to work. As you know, working at the circus and cleaning chimneys are traditional career options for kids. However, I'd urge also you to consider well-paid roles in medical experiments...