Will GOAT move to Unity 5?

Talk about anything related to Ghost of a Tale here.
Gab_dC
Original backer
Original backer

I wonder if GoaT will be ported to Unity 5. It looks fantastic!
david
'Ghost of a Tale' Community Manager

this is an excellent question, I've been wondering the same thing. Unity 5 will likely be released 'sometime' in the summer (they are cautious about being more specific in case of delays).

I'm quite sure Seith would like to use Unity 5 but he'll have done a huge amount of work in Unity 4 by then.

At that stage, I'm not sure how much would be involved in bringing the project to the new engine: Seith may not be sure either, until he gets his hands on the new toolset.
david

Cool stuff! Just today Seith pre-ordered Unity 5 (hopefully released in the summer) and is looking to bring GOAT to the new engine!

In our chat, he said that if the new engine allows him to improve the GOAT visuals even more, and if the improvements in workflow mean he can work better... after thorough testing, to ensure everything works as planned, he plans to take GOAT to Unity 5!

:ugeek:
KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

Wow, even though I'm not 100% sure (meaning I'm about 7% sure) what this means, it sounds like good news. Newer is always better, right?

No, seriously, the news of Unity 5 being released this summer made me think: maybe GoaT won't get the full support as a top-notch Unity showcase game after all being released on Unity 4 when there is already a Unity 5. I might be wrong, but usually those engine developers only push their most recent product (thinking about Crytek and Epic Games, it might be very different with the folks from Unity though).
david

Like you, I was hoping to see GOAT become a showcase game for Unity... with official in-house technical support from Unity's engineers to make it look awesome and run optimally.

But Unity operates slightly differently from Epic (Unreal Engine) and Crytek (CryEngine). Unity doesn't make in-house blockbusters like the Gears of War and Crysis series, and (for better, or worse) Unity doesn't seem to play favorites among its licensed developers, apart from giving a modest bit of publicity to promising-looking titles.

On the other hand, as far as I know, GOAT has gotten unofficial support from Unity team individuals, because they like the project. Also, David Helgason (Unity CEO) likes GOAT (he tweeted about it) and is probably keeping an eye on it.

However, as you say Kwisatz, with the release of Unity 5 engine this summer, I'd bet that all their engineers will be really busy. And I think Unity, as a matter of policy, is cautious about promoting favorite projects from among their many, many licensees. Of course though, Unity'd really like GOAT or any other title developed on their engine to be a blockbuster.
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Not sure if this is even a consideration with the game, as at this point shifting to unity 5 has already happened.. or isn't going to happen.. but I spotted this via the ashen rift guys and WOW.. the fact tools like this exist really makes me drool. I thought about how this might apply to goat or any number of other games and.. just.. WOW.

Physically based materials (for skinning 3d models)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 09F8CFA8F3

Pretty kool, i must say.
david

@EvilKing... I'd like to see your face when you read the latest blog post. As for me, I'm really pleased he's making the jump, 'cos Unity 5 has immense potential...

:D
Seith
'Ghost of a Tale' Creator and Developer

Hehe. I wasn't aware of this conversation before posting the update, but it does sound funny in retrospect... :mrgreen:
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

LOL well I guess this answers the topic's question with a resounding YES HE WILL.

And from what I can tell it will be a nice jump in features and possibilities. I know you held off initially because more tools and attachments were available for Unity 4, but I'm guessing things have transitioned nicely to the Unity 5 store , so you took the plunge? :)

Either way, cheers! the candle effect is pretty awesome. I am sure the rats and undead on the island won't be too pleased to see their banners all burned to ash.. heheh. One thing they did in Tomb Raider was having stuff like that as a sort of quest/collectible to look for. Would be neat to have various spots in the game have semi-hidden burnable banners or objects that if you find them all unlock a hidden goodie. like every 5 you burn unlocks a bit of production artwork or music selection you can play at camp. Sort of like if every time you reach a save point (a small makeshift camp) Tilo will sit and play a random tune on the guitar as it fades through the "saving" sequence, and as you unlock them there is a variety of songs that can pop up as it saves. :) To avoid having to animate his hands for EVERY song exactly you could just have a few key camera points to snap to at random that are from behind/the side/front but at a distance or front and obscured by the fire slightly. :)
Seith

Good idea! :)

Regarding the reasons for the change, it is very pragmatic really: I made sure the couple of third-party assets that GoaT relies on already support Unity 5.0, and the ones that didn't... well I ditched them and recreated their functionality from scratch... ^^
haldolium
Original backer
Original backer

Questions:

Did you implement true fullscreen for GoaT? Dunno if some recent update to Unity finally changed the default, but too many games do use borderless fullscreen and then sell it as "fullscreen" option which it simply isn't. There are various relevant technical reasons to support true fullscreen.

Have you looked into image quality aspects such as proper AA as well? While it does create a bit of a blury image (probably more so with more detailed shaders) I was impressed of Playdeads TAA method, since - at least in their own game - it has been very smooth with little artifacts.

Given how stunning (seriously, it's really great both artistic and technical as far as I can tell from the many previews you've shown) Ghost of a Tale looks, I really would love if you take equally great care about making that world look artifact-free and smoothly rendered :)
Seith

Thank you! :)

Yes, we use true full-screen. And although we don't use Playdead's AA (haven't tested it) we don't use Unity's default AA either (can't say much more about it at this point I'm afraid)...
Namko

It seems that Unity 5.4 could help GOAT's performance!
http://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/07/28/uni ... ats-in-it/