First console version - Xbox only

Talk about anything related to Ghost of a Tale here.
Pulsar
Original backer
Original backer

Nooooo..... please come to PS4 soon :P
Last edited by Pulsar on Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gab_dC
Original backer
Original backer

I hope so, too! I'm glad that GoaT will eventually go to consoles. That's a lot of people who would otherwise be unable to play GoaT.

Hype! :D
Pulsar
Original backer
Original backer

I should say that I do think that it is very cool and good for the game to be coming to consoles. Given that it was in a 'First to console' section I would assume that it will come to PS4 eventually, which is awesome! I was just a little disappointed that I will have to wait (I don't think my PC will play GoaT too well so I am relying on my PS4 :) )
david
'Ghost of a Tale' Community Manager

It'd be terrific to see GOAT on the PS4, agreed! Fingers crossed that the PC and Xbox versions will be successful, and that this success will propel GOAT onto the PS4 ;)
KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

For a momemt there my heart stopped beating when I read the thread title. "First on console"? This does still mean it will be released for PC at the same time as for the XBone? Or will it be one of these limited time Xbox-exclusives like No Man's Sky? Please don't!
Pulsar
Original backer
Original backer

Sorry, maybe I should change the thread title (can I even do this?). It just means that the first console it will come to is the Xbox. I believe it will release on Xbox and PC at the 'same' time, just based on the fact that it is a PC game but Microsoft have tended (at least in the past) to want a simultaneous release on the Xbox.

I know what you are saying about No Man's Sky, however I'm not sure about your use of Xbox here since it is a limited time PS4 exclusive!
KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

All right, thanks for clarification!

Concerning No Man's Sky and exclusivity: Since I'm a purebred PC-gamer I tend to blur the line between XBox and PS4 and just throw them all into one bin labelled "overpriced and dated hardware with severe software-restrictions, draconian licensing nonsense and retarded input devices" *PC master-race mode off*. Personally I don't have anything against consoles though (some of my best friends are consoles!).
:P
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

I wouldn't be surprised if this moves to other consoles over time, it just makes good sense as a game developer and a business standpoint. If Sony extends interest and sends Seith a dev kit it'll speed it along so the release dates might be less separated, but if not it means waiting to see if the game is successful, and then BUYING a dev kit and taking the time to translate the game to ps4 (which widens that window a lot more).

I don't have either console, I dropped my cash to build a hefty gaming rig based on the hardware architecture of the ps4 and expect game design to follow through on that so my system will remain capable for quite a few years *fingers crossed*. I will liekly end up with one or both of them over the years, but not until there's a LOT of games I want to try and the price is down quite a bit.

that all said, seeing millions of fans of this game over the next few years would really be awesome, no matter the system they see it on.
Scrustle
Original backer
Original backer

I'm glad to hear the game is getting a console version, and the Gamescom trailer is great. It does seem a bit odd to go with the Xbox, given the climate of the industry lately, but I imagine that's probably only because of MS's silly parity clause, and I imagine a PS4 version will be coming later. Pretty much all exclusive games that aren't first-party tend to go multiplatform eventually nowadays.

Either way, it's not a problem for me. I own an Xbox One.

But I that leads me to a question I have. Do backers who were promised a copy of the game on release get to choose what platform version they get?
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

So it looks like when GoaT does hit the market it'll likely be simultaneously released on xbox one and pc if you believe what this article is stating.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... irst-Class
If you're not aware, Microsoft has a special "parity" clause with indie devs it works with through its indie program, ID@Xbox. Essentially, the clause states that indie developers must launch their product on Xbox One at the same time it is launched on any other platform. That means, they can't, say, launch a product on PC first, and then port it to Xbox One later.
I figured Seith would shoot for this anyhow, but seeing as it's now a requirement means he'll need to have two solid full working versions before it launches.

Personally I think that Parity Clause is an unnecessary hurtle for dev's to deal with. It's an ego thing for Microsoft so they don't personally feel like they're getting all of Steam's sloppy seconds (it also effectively boxes out a lot of already existing games on steam from moving to the xbox one I suppose) . But being forced to launch on both means an already strained budget and tight timelines get even worse, and having the extra 2-3 months to iron out the bugs for the xbox one is now gone. As well, last gen there were hefty fee's for hosting patches and updates on the 360 and ps3 so in effect by forcing an earlier launch on their console, they profit because when the dev's are forced to post launch fix everything they didn't have time to, they have to pay out the nose or leave a crap product online.

Or hold up release and risk potentially going bankrupt...

I'm sure Seith isn't sweating the details. My biggest hope is that this detail doesn't end up delaying the game's release in ANY form for an extra 6 months.
david

@EvilKing... I've been wondering the same thing myself. The XBone parity clause can be a SERIOUS issue for teeny-tiny indie teams (basically Seith who is working full time on the GoaT PC version alone) to try to get two versions (PC and XBone) launched simultaneously. Trying to get TWO decent quality releases out together adds SO MUCH to the workload, complexity and risks... which are already VERY high! :shock:

If the worst happens, Seith could bring someone in to work on the XBone version of GoaT in parallel with himself, while he works on the PC version. It needn't be a disaster, but it sure wouldn't be ideal.

Personally, I'm hoping that Microsoft will allow an exception to parity in GoaT's case so the PC version can come out first. I have read that Microsoft WILL allow exceptions on a case-by-case basis, so fingers crossed!

I'll mention this thread to Seith, hopefully -when he knows for sure whether parity is mandatory or not for GoaT- he will let us know.
Seith
'Ghost of a Tale' Creator and Developer
'Ghost of a Tale' Creator and Developer

Very good question. No need to worry though; in the case of GoaT (I can't speak for other indies) the only thing it means is the game cannot be released on any other console before Xbox One.

This agreement does not affect the game's PC release in any way (I made sure of that).
david

Jubilation!

From what I've read, the Microsoft parity clause includes the PC as well as consoles. So good on ya Seith for avoiding this pitfall with GoaT :D

Also, btw, recent interviews with Phil Spencer (MS head of XBox) have suggested that MS may ease its stance more widely, which is good news for gamers and game devs overall, imho: "I see the feedback on my stance on the clause, I want to rethink how we approach this, responses are heard."
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

GOOD. Because saying they want the xbone players to feel like they are first class, by essentially limiting what games can be released on it, seems mighty counter intuitive.. In most cases I think players don't care about who got a game first so much as "Will we get it al all?!" and their current stated policy doesn't address this in a positive light.

I'm glad it won't mess with Ghost of a Tale. It makes me happy and proud to support this games endeavors and stalk David and Seith from far and away like some creepy guy.. err.. *cough* ignore that last part hehehe
david

@EvilKing... I agree, I think Microsoft would improve its reputation as a progressive company, if it opted to be the 'bigger man' and drop the parity clause... especially with regard to indie games.

My life is exceedingly quiet these days, so I heartily encourage you to stalk Seith instead :mrgreen: