First console version - Xbox only

Talk about anything related to Ghost of a Tale here.
david
'Ghost of a Tale' Community Manager

@EvilKing... I've been wondering the same thing myself. The XBone parity clause can be a SERIOUS issue for teeny-tiny indie teams (basically Seith who is working full time on the GoaT PC version alone) to try to get two versions (PC and XBone) launched simultaneously. Trying to get TWO decent quality releases out together adds SO MUCH to the workload, complexity and risks... which are already VERY high! :shock:

If the worst happens, Seith could bring someone in to work on the XBone version of GoaT in parallel with himself, while he works on the PC version. It needn't be a disaster, but it sure wouldn't be ideal.

Personally, I'm hoping that Microsoft will allow an exception to parity in GoaT's case so the PC version can come out first. I have read that Microsoft WILL allow exceptions on a case-by-case basis, so fingers crossed!

I'll mention this thread to Seith, hopefully -when he knows for sure whether parity is mandatory or not for GoaT- he will let us know.
Seith
'Ghost of a Tale' Creator and Developer
'Ghost of a Tale' Creator and Developer

Very good question. No need to worry though; in the case of GoaT (I can't speak for other indies) the only thing it means is the game cannot be released on any other console before Xbox One.

This agreement does not affect the game's PC release in any way (I made sure of that).
david

Jubilation!

From what I've read, the Microsoft parity clause includes the PC as well as consoles. So good on ya Seith for avoiding this pitfall with GoaT :D

Also, btw, recent interviews with Phil Spencer (MS head of XBox) have suggested that MS may ease its stance more widely, which is good news for gamers and game devs overall, imho: "I see the feedback on my stance on the clause, I want to rethink how we approach this, responses are heard."
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

GOOD. Because saying they want the xbone players to feel like they are first class, by essentially limiting what games can be released on it, seems mighty counter intuitive.. In most cases I think players don't care about who got a game first so much as "Will we get it al all?!" and their current stated policy doesn't address this in a positive light.

I'm glad it won't mess with Ghost of a Tale. It makes me happy and proud to support this games endeavors and stalk David and Seith from far and away like some creepy guy.. err.. *cough* ignore that last part hehehe
david

@EvilKing... I agree, I think Microsoft would improve its reputation as a progressive company, if it opted to be the 'bigger man' and drop the parity clause... especially with regard to indie games.

My life is exceedingly quiet these days, so I heartily encourage you to stalk Seith instead :mrgreen: