New short video showing interactive foam

Talk about anything related to Ghost of a Tale here.
david
'Ghost of a Tale' Community Manager

In case you missed it from Seith's Twitter feed (@SeithCG) check out the new video in the link below from his cellphone: I really like the detail of the foam channel behind Tilo, as he wades through a flooded dungeon :D

https://t.co/IiAXzWXD5Q
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Nice! I saw the pic he took of the foam but not the video. or maybe it was the video but wouldn't play.. not sure. This makes it more evident. i love the effect, very realistic and beautiful. I also love the real-time light cast off that lantern, really works well! You get a good sense of shadow and light without over darkening the scene and making it near impossible to see stuff. I am sure some other areas are darker than this, but this looks really good.

Now.. how to animate moving stuff UNDER the water to creep people out.. heh heh heh... even if they were just simple textured shapes of tentacles or fish or weird blobs slinking under the surface and all you saw was slightly ripple in the water and shadowy movement below.. Oh the fun!
david

@EvilKing... Yeah! Underwater threats would really add a new edge of danger to navigating the flooded passages. Tentacles are rarely done in games, but they'd be superb, perhaps even a full boss octopus deep in the lower level. In addition to looking neat, the foam might even provide hints as to the recent movements and position of other creatures wading/swimming about in the gloom and waiting in ambush.

Like Kwisatz suggested, the water level may be rising, threatening to engulf Tilo and douse his lantern, leaving the little mouse to meet his doom in the darkness unless he can escape or find a raft.

Bats (which are large, and a substantial threat to a mouse) would also be awesome, though it is perhaps technically difficult to get their unusual combination of AI, animation and flight path to work well. Clouds of insects in some places (even one insect would also be quite big to a mouse) could drain Tilo's energy with Galaxian-like attacks, as they peel into battle singly or in small groups.
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

well remember proportionately all creatures remain consistent so bugs would be fairly small still within this world. Bats though would still be a major threat. Sadly i doubt there will be a ton of caverns big enough to properly let a bat move around and attack.

the water effects offer all kinds of possibilities. :)
david

@EvilKing.. yes, I'm keeping the proportions in mind, though perhaps you are right about the bats maneuvering in the tunnels. Imho some flying insects with stings do reach a sufficient size to damage a mouse though.
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

ahh true.. out where you are bugs are the size of small cats.. lol i forget how scary this world of ours is. :) my bad.

though has seith added moles into the mix? would be right frightening to see them scurrying around in the underground denizens

Could even have it come in a few flavors.. Pink Moles (younger, easier to avoid) brown Moles (adult, tougher and more aware), Black Moles (the knight Moles, harder and wearing bone gauntlets) and albino Moles (rare mole to discover in an easter egg/hidden cave. Could be a mage that gives a special benefit, or is friendly and just offers advice/gives full map of dungeon). Then they would be all based on the same model with color alteration to their fur, slight new modeling for gauntlets or weapons, and generally an identical pool of animation routines. :)

And yes I realize it will not happen most likely. .seith has enough headaches :) Just fun to speculate! Especially if the moles, like dwarves, live longer than most creatures and have a keen sense of history and more of a affixed memory of the events on the island before all this (and since they're "blind" they see things as they are rather than how they look.. hehehe)
david

@EvilKing... Yeah, I think the warm weather allows bugs in the tropics to grow to serious sizes! I've learned to handle the big ground-based cockroaches here, but the large cockroach-like beetles that can fly still freak me out a bit :shock:

I haven't seen plans for moles in GoaT, though the kind of thing you describe would certainly fit the lore as we know it so far. That first pic is really frightening, kind of reminds me of a character from Serious Sam, the guy with a bomb for a head. You are right, from a technical perspective, the animations, modeling and AI behavior could all share their common features across a single species... and within that species, the classes would just differ in the specific aspects that would be unique to each class (behavior, coloration, clothing, armor, weapons etc).

As you say, we've again gone totally wild in imagineering for GoaT... if we were the producers... with all the locations, features and creatures we keep adding... GoaT would need a development staff of hundreds, cost a million dollars per copy, and be complete sometime next century.

...I totally agree it's just so fun! Something about the GoaT-world really lights up my imagination :D
Seith
'Ghost of a Tale' Creator and Developer
'Ghost of a Tale' Creator and Developer

The room in the video is located near the entrance to the sewers that run under the jail. I'm told it's quite dangerous to go wading about in those leech-infested waters... ;)
david

Leeches! :shock:

... and I bet somehow they'll be creepy and squirmy but kind of cute too! ;)
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

yay glad to hear there will be dangers lurking in the deep water.. hehehe..

though cute leeches? c'mon... that seems like a disservice to the world. People might start keeping them as pets and selling em on ebay! We'll end up with stores just to sell those.. they'll call it Leechmere's..

though one craftsy person has the first dibs for the store..

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=140893.5

heheheheeh
david

@EvilKing... yeah! excellent! Get your blood-sucking leech plushies and figurines! Available on the GoaT website and selected retailers!

You are 100 percent right that leeches make terrific pets! You can raise 'em as families! Attach 'em to your body and you can take 'em everywhere (like school and work)! Just stick 'em to any mammal (including yourself) to feed! :D