a full list of bugs I encountered

For PC (Windows) specific help with technical issues running the game.
Thomas_Huayra

- When sneaking, getting up stairs might be challenging, as in: steps may be too high for Tilo when he's sneaking, so he'll have to walk normally to get over them
- Guards too sometimes have issues walking up stairs
- Guards get stuck in random places, which is a pain when they detected you, because they're stuck and you can't lose them by jumping into a closet. Sometimes Tilo can walk in circles around them and they won't even try to walk or try to attack him. Just stand there. Often, throwing a bottle at their heads doesn't do anything.
- Guards can have a bit of pathing issues. If they follow you in jail and lose you, they will always try to make their way out through the shortest route, which is through a stairway that's accessed through a wooden door that has a lever. However, when this door is closed, they just stand there in front of it, doing nothing. They could take a little detour to make their way out.
- This room here http://image.prntscr.com/image/fdc5a474 ... 3213c9.png, when luring rat guards in the room and closing the door, locking them in, if you walk away to a different area and run back, the door always opens up, freeing the rats. Unless they're stuck and stay in place (referring to bug n°3), in which case you're really in trouble. It's the only lever controlled door so far that does that. (frog cell and the loot room in middle of jail are secure)
- When jumping up against chains hanging from the wall, such as the ones in Tilo's original cell, they may go into an animation frenzy (graphic/animation bug).
- As can be seen on the map screenshot earlier, it shows 2 thief outfit pieces' locations, but I looted those already. It just doesn't disappear from the map. Same with several Pirate outfit pieces in the jail. And that Ranger outfit marker, I'm not sure whether I already looted that or simply can't find it. (edit: I had already looted it)
- Sometimes you might slide off slanted roofs that you want to stay on, such as the one here at 1:04 in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9yshFy7ewI or the one above the smith's workplace.

If I find more bugs, I'll write them in response to this thread.
Last edited by Thomas_Huayra on Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cosmogonies
'Ghost of a Tale' Programming

Thanks for that precise feedback !
We managed just right now to fix the path finding of the rat by the closed door, thanks to you !

It will be included in the next release, as a lot of others bugs you mentioned^^.
Thomas_Huayra

More than happy to contribute!

- When my lantern would run completely empty and show as a red icon in my inventory, I cannot refill the lantern anymore, it says it's 'already full'. This only occurs when the lantern is completely empty. If there's still a bit of oil in my lantern, i can refill. Potentially game breaking, giving the quest significance of lanterns
- When wielding the guard armor outfit, the same problem may occur as when Tilo is sneaking: steps of staircases may be too high. This also includes the final act of this build of the game: when entering the catacombs, you have to get over a small step, but I only managed to do that while sprinting and moving to the side of the step a bit.
Thomas_Huayra

To iillustrate some of the pathing issues, when pushing the mechanics of the game to the extreme, I have locked up about 7-8 rats inside the loot room in the middle of the jail. When I went to liberate them, because I needed the guard of the west gate to be at his post for the final quest... a few things went wrong simultaneously, so that's a great example:

https://secure.twitch.tv/thomas_huayra/ ... =02h24m46s

So what happened when I opened the gate was
- they didn't start pathing until I threw a stick
- the textures of some rats didn't load, so they show as invisible
- they have difficulties to fluently move through the corridors, occasionally getting stuck. I had to run in and out of jail to get the rats out of there, using sticks and myself as bait. (ofc the one rat I needed was the last I managed to get out of there lol) That aspect may mostly be shown in the next part of my stream https://secure.twitch.tv/thomas_huayra/ ... 5?t=23m52s
This last URL when you look at the very end of the stream, you'll see Tilo struggling to get up that last step in his guard armor to get into the catacombs. :)
Last edited by Thomas_Huayra on Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas_Huayra

- When standing in front of the door to the sewers, the area is not darkened. I mention this, because it feels like it should be. When coming out of the sewers back through the gate, that area IS darkened, and since you need to be holding a lantern to open the door, it definitely should be darkened (I had no idea how to open the sewer door before I read the forums) The corridors with the traps are also only darkened if you leave the sewers, not enter it.
Thomas_Huayra

- After a bag of grain has been emptied, when returning to that place where that empty bag is, it may be floating a few feet up in the air. (graphic bug, happens to many of the grain bags) & centrally in the courtyard there is a wooden cart and underneath one of the handles are 2 bags of grain. One cannot be used, because it's too much underneath it.
- In one of Silas' first dialogs, I think it's where you explain about your little statues about your wife and son, you can't actually press "continue" unless you press the mouse a few centimeters to the left of the continue button. (a bit like a ghost button)
Last edited by Thomas_Huayra on Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
cosmogonies

Thanks agatin !
Particularly the lantern bug will be fixed in the next release.
(But it is not game-breaking as Candles also makes some light, and you can find them infinitely)
Thomas_Huayra

As you can see, this is going to be a BIG, one guys :) I promised a "complete" list and here it is ;)

I recorded a video of a relatively swift playthrough of the current build (1.49) of GoaT. It is a nice opportunity to go over all the little bugs I encounter throughout a playthrough. This is my second full playthrough of (this version of) the game. An overall tendency seems that not everything always seems to load or spawn perfectly.

My basic system specs (overclocked CPU and GPU though): http://image.prntscr.com/image/904ec76b ... 4cd35b.png

Overall:
- Throughout the entire game I never was bestowed the quest to search Gusto & Fatale's old cell (where you manipulate those rings on the wall). Not sure if I missed a piece of loot... I tried to talk to them wearing different outfits, fruitlessly. The whole bit between 1:44:40 and 1:48:30 is me experimenting to try to get the quest.
- I never found the ranger's boots, nor were they indicated on my maps. I did find them in a previous playthrough, but I can't recall where. I like to think I've searched every nook and cranny of the game. Is it possible that they didn't spawn? Me aimlessly running around from 1:49:00 onward is me trying to find the boots. (and trying to get Faustus' and Gusto&Fatale's quests)

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81jOboht8Mg

4:23 Around this time in the video a bag of grain can be seen up against the wall that I cannot loot
5:23 I could have sworn this guard was supposed to have a handkerchief (no biggie)
19:40 This guard still had stars circling his head after I knocked him out a few minutes earlier. I tried to swing bottles at his head again, but they flew right through him. Then I ran past him, he never noticed me or followed me.
29:14 The loot indicators don't disappear off the map half the time after the armor pieces have been looted. All these pirate pieces were looted by then. At 58:03 you see the same issue where all thief outfit pieces were collected, but there are still 2 markers.
29:19 There is a missing loot indicator for the guard's greaves (the heavy armor shoes) that are down a basement in the western central area of the courtyard. That other guard's armor indicator over there is for the chest piece, the shoes would be higher up on the map and there were no more heavy armor indicators when I still had to find those (found them at 1:09:07). Maybe they're indicated accidentally on a different area's map, even though we can't access said area without those heavy armor pieces?
34:47 - 37:05 This door is possessed.
38:17 and 2:11:56 forced to walk down the roof (I could only stop Tilo at the very edge of the roof)
39:45 See, that door opens up when I return, as I reported earlier.
39:50 - 41:35 The rat that's standing still behind the now open (possessed) door is keeping me in combat until I aggro and shake off another rat.
45:00 the dialog options are a bit bugged out. Rare issue. At 49:34 there's a delay before dialog options show up.
45:26 This is something that every keyboard+mouse gamer encounters: can only click continue if you move your computer mouse a few centimeters to the left.
50:24 This guy is still knocked out the next morning. Quite a swing I have.
52:50 - 54:03 Guards would take turns going into combat. I'd shake off one by hiding and as soon as I lose him, another goes into combat. The I lose that one and then the former one goes into combat... perpetually. Also notice the choking animation bug. Only time I had no choice but to reload a previous save.
1:22:13 This area should be completely dark, shouldn't it? It is when approached from the other direction.
1:24:19 This corridor is dark, but if I were to approach it from the left there (jumping over the little platform into the corridor) it wouldn't be dark.
1:25:37 Leeches don't do any damage. (unless Tilo stands completely still)
1:26:10 entirely by chance I figured out in the previous game that I was supposed to use a light source to find the whistle. Perhaps this room should be dark as well.
1:30:56 Big bug here. Faustus refuses to bestow his quest to bring him the poisonous mushrooms. At this point I had already all the mushrooms in my inventory and I had already looted the mask and hat from his cupboard (maybe this latter bit messed it up). Perhaps it auto-completed the quest without the finishing dialog. But I did not receive my candle hat, which was a bummer. I tried later on with different outfits (such at at 1:57:50), it was ineffective.
1:43:13 Game crash
2:06:58 Silas' beetles still spawn even after I returned all 7 of them.
2:07:26 A typical graphic error/lag where part of the tunnel's graphics don't show right away.
2:07:29 onward, as can be seen, there is a guard that is stuck in a partial detection of me. Makes no sense to begin with, because I was way out of his field of vision. at 2:09:05 I ran towards his line of vision to get his detection meter moving again to solve this (probably minor) issue.
2:18:50 the black screen at the end doesn't allow you to return to the main menu. Tab or esc keys don't work. I have to alt+F4 to get out.

The bugs that I experience to be the most annoying or pressing to fix would be:
- bugs that make guards on one hand not accurately follow you or on the other hand keep them in combat indefinitely
- inconsistencies with loot markers on the maps
- the possessed door
- quests that are not accurately bestowed

Edit: I loaded this playthrough in version 1.62 today and I successfully received and finished Faustus' quest as well as being able to loot more Florins left and right. Rooms like where the Whistle is hidden, is now correctly darkened.
Thomas_Huayra

When loading the game in U1.62, Faustus' quest was successfully bestowed and completed!
cosmogonies

Waouh, that's impressive.
As you may have notice here:
http://www.ghostofatale.com/forum/viewt ... f=7&t=2107

We just released a big update, with some big issues fixed, as Faustus quest if you already have the 7 mushrooms.
Map is improved too, and the door will behave as it should !

By the way, AI and light triggers will be checked now ^^.