Crashes when saving.

For PC (Windows) specific help with technical issues running the game.
paddymaxson

Hiya

I've not had a single crash unless I was trying to save my game. Crashlogs attached. Or should I send these elsewhere?
Attachments
Ghost of a Tale.7z
(132.22 KiB) Downloaded 801 times
DrGuthrie

Having the same issue and now every time I try to save the game crashes it will not give me a Crashlog.
cosmogonies
'Ghost of a Tale' Programming

We are struggling to find what is the source of the crash.
I notice in your logs that you cloud-sync the folder "My Documents", am I right ?
(could be a hint)
paddymaxson

Thats right, i gdrive my whole windows profile, that might actually make sense that maybe the save file is write-locked due to a previous modification when it goes to access it.
draxus42

I have also only had the game crash when saving. I've only been playing few hours, during that time I have saved many times successfully without issue, but three of those times the game has crashed. When it does it immediately kicks me out of the game with the crash notice asking me to please send it to the developers. I don't think it actually saved any of those 3 times that it crashed. Each time I get the output_log.txt and error.log in the "crash directory". The crash.dmp file is consistently zero bytes. Each time the save has been an overwrite of an existing (not sure if it matters).

2 of the crashes are in one of the zip files. I had to split the output log for the other split into two zip files (once extracted, concatenated the two txt files for the original). Is there a better way to submit and associate these kind of files with a particular issue?

Windows 10 (Anniversary Update 1607)
Asus NVIDIA GeForce 980 TI OC

I don't have any cloud syncing going on (short of what is in Steam for saved games). OneDrive is off.
Let me know if you need anything else.
crash-1-and-3.zip
Crash files for crash #1 & #3
(179.48 KiB) Downloaded 808 times
crash-2-part-a.zip
Crash files for crash #2 - partial
(139.19 KiB) Downloaded 812 times
crash-2-part-b.zip
Crash files for crash #2 - partial
(126.01 KiB) Downloaded 827 times
cosmogonies

Thank you, that is precious to us !
eisfuchs
Original backer
Original backer

I am using the 1.63 version from gog under WINE 1.9.16 on openSUSE Linux 13.1, and I see the same Save Game crash. The error in the log file seems to be always

DynamicHeapAllocator allocation probe 1 failed - Could not get memory for large allocation 8294400.
DynamicHeapAllocator allocation probe 2 failed - Could not get memory for large allocation 8294400.
DynamicHeapAllocator allocation probe 3 failed - Could not get memory for large allocation 8294400.
DynamicHeapAllocator allocation probe 4 failed - Could not get memory for large allocation 8294400.

Not sure if it's by chance or not, but I usually can save one game, then when I save a second rime, it crashes like this.
eisfuchs
Original backer
Original backer

I can also crash the game by just going into "Load Game", then ESCaping, back into "Load Game", ESCaping ... do that a few times, and then it crashes.

I have a feeling it has to do with the savegame snapshots. When I crashed last time, the snapshots were blank when I loaded the game, as if they couldn't be loaded in the first place.

EDIT: Deleting the png files from the save game folder seems to stabilize the save process.
cosmogonies

Yes you're right nearly all the crashes report in GoaT are provoked by the sceenshot and thumbnails.

We are working to make it no impact on the save file process, so when it does crash, nothing is lost (just the capture)
Dragoslav

Hello !

First thanks for this greate game, I love it.

But I have the same problem, my game crash when I save the game :cry:

I have windows 10, GTX 980, 16g RAM, i7 4790k, and I have all latest driver.
Attachments
GOT.rar
(77.51 KiB) Downloaded 818 times
cosmogonies

Thank you !
We think we found the solution if the crashes so we hope that in the next release they will be gone ! Please just wait a little longer^^.