PC freezes when starting latest Steam Version

For PC (Windows) specific help with technical issues running the game.
firefly

Yesterday I loaded the latest update from steam. Unfortunately my PC freezes completely when starting the game. So i can't tell which Version I got. Download was on Friday 5th of August from Steam.
Here is the output log:

Initialize engine version: 5.3.5p2 (3103edb99077)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0]
Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (ID=0x1401)
Vendor: NVIDIA
VRAM: 3072 MB
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Platform assembly: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\AmplifyMotion.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\AmplifyMotion.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\DemiLib.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\DemiLib.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\DOTween.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\DOTween.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\DOTween43.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\DOTween43.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\DOTween46.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\DOTween46.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\DOTween50.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\DOTween50.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\DOTweenPro.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\DOTweenPro.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\DecalSystem.Runtime.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\DecalSystem.Runtime.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\UnityLogger.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\UnityLogger.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\MonitorComponents.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\MonitorComponents.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\XTReorder.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\XTReorder.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\Newtonsoft.Json.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\Newtonsoft.Json.dll into Unity Child Domain
- Completed reload, in 0.103 seconds
Platform assembly: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Ghost of a Tale\GoaT_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)
<RI> Initializing input.
<RI> Input initialized.
desktop: 1920x1080 60Hz; virtual: 1920x1080 at 0,0

I got a folder named 2016-07-30_121216 which also has crash report and dump files but all have the same date as the folder has. So it seams that this are related to another crash which happened earlier. So in case of the latest version and the freeze at startup, no crash report is created.
cosmogonies
'Ghost of a Tale' Programming

Can you do that in steam library:
Left click on game - Options - local files - and Verify Integrity of Game Cache
firefly

Did the integrity check and one corrupted file was detected. Steam Download then had that file listed with size of 0 kb. Then another check said all files ok.
PC still freezes when I am trying to start the game. :(
firefly

Recently I've started Steam again and ran the validation again. Again Steam said that one file will be downloaded again. This time a 3.8 kb file was downloaded. Unfortunately PC still freezes when starting the game.
firefly

Update on the issue:

I removed local data in steam and completely downloaded the game again. After downloading i ran a integrity check and steam said all files ok.
Then I started the game. This time i saw all the splash screens and the initial loading screen. Right after the loading screen my monitor went all black but music was played. No input from keyboard, mouse or gamepad possible.
After reseting my PC I started Steam again and ran the integrity check again. Result was one file that had to be downloaded again. When checking the download tab, Steam showed 0 KB file had been downloaded.

Don't know whats going on here...
firefly

Before I downloaded the update today, i deleted my save files. Then I ran the update on Steam. Again the PC freezes when starting the game.
Then I removed all local data again and completely downloaded the game. again the PC freezes when starting the game.
I watched the HDD LED flicker for some seconds after the screen freezes. Unfortunately I can't provide more info at the moment as no crash report is created.
cosmogonies

I am terribly sorry of that freeze series you experienced.
Since it is freezes and have no crash logs, I'm afraid we can't really know what's going on and help you.
Is your saves game folder (My Documents\My Games) are synched/clouded/backuped by any chance ?
firefly

Success! :shock:

At least, now I can tell what the problem is.
It's Comodo Firewall.
When i unplug network cable and completely close Comodo FW the game starts up as normal and without freezing.
Adding GoaT.exe as a trusted application does not solve the problem.
As long as Comodo is active, I am getting asked if Steam.exe is allowed to execute GoaT.exe. After pressing the allow button the freezing occurs. No matter GoaT.exe is set as trusted app or not.

Don't know if this can help in development or what additional information might help. If you need to know something, please let me know. I will try to get you the information.
cosmogonies

Oh thanks for sharing that kind of information .
Do you have this behavior with all the steam games or just GoaT ?
firefly

No, its just GoaT. I can run all other games without problems. Also no need to set other games to trusted app in Comodo. GoaT is the only software behaving that way.