Corrupted save causing issues loading saves or continuing.

For PC (Windows) specific help with technical issues running the game.
DaForce2000

Hey guys,

Was testing out the latest build [2.81] and as I was making a save the computer froze, had to power off.

Note: the freeze isn't the issue here as I know the cause of that. I mention it as the cause of the corrupted save.

The problem was that when I booted back up and started Ghost of a Tale, the continue button was yellow but didn't respond to any clicks. And if i clicked Load Game it would simple go to a black screen, and i had to ALT F4 to close the game as I couldnt do anything else. ESC, enter, mouse clicks, nothing worked.... just blackness.

Starting a new game seemed to work, the autosave worked (at the start of the game) but i was NOT able to manually save as the game just locked when i pressed save game. Similar to when i tried to load game from the start screen.

Deleting the save file and associated PNG allowed the continue button to work (loading the previous save) and the Load Game button to bring up the list of saved games.

I think there needs to be some sort of sanity check on save files. So that the continue button works and reverts to the next oldest save and warns the user of possible save file corruption. (or something along those lines.

And same with the Load Game page, the game should be able to determine the save file is corrupted... mark it as such (like how the current old version saves say they are no longer compatible) and then show you the rest of the save games to load, or possibly even provide the option to delete the corrupted save.

I have a backed up copy of the corrupted save file if needed (the save itself isn't really the issue tho, its more about how the game handles corrupted saves)

Anyway figured I'd mention it, as if someone is not able to find and delete the corrupted save file would be somewhat stuck not able to load/continue/save their game outside of auto saves.

Cheers
DaForce2000
cosmogonies
'Ghost of a Tale' Programming

Hello, thank you very much to your feedback, and we are sorry for your inconvenience.

You are right, we should definitely detect a corrupted save file, so if you mind send us your glitched save file at support@ghostofatale.com , we will improve the game behavior in that case !
DaForce2000

Hi cosmogonies,

Thanks for the reply.

I've sent thru the save file as requested.

Cheers
DaForce2000
cosmogonies

Thank you ! We have received the file and be able to reproduce the bug ^^.
We will be able to handle that kind of misbehavior for the next update !
DaForce2000

Excellent!

Thanks for the updated.