Boxed Collector's edition

Share your ideas and thoughts for the game with the community and team.
david
'Ghost of a Tale' Community Manager

A long, long way into the future, Seith has suggested that a boxed collector's edition of Ghost of a Tale may be forthcoming. So I was just thinking to gather your ideas about what it might include:
  • Tin box
    Figurines (skeleton rat, mouse)
    Tshirt
    Soundtrack CD & MP3
    Postcards from the gameworld
    Mouse plushy toy (suggested by EvilKing)
    Small wooden lute with stand (by EvilKing)
    Hat (plain or fancy) (by EvilKing)
Gab_dC
Original backer
Original backer

A map of the island might be good.

Or possibly a journal of the Mouse / another character. It could provide us with some back story or lore than may not be extrapolated within the game. This may be tricky as the game itself seems as if it will be shrouded in mystery, so the journal will have to avoid spoiling anything.

A little paw print mold would be adorable, too.
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Gab_dC wrote:A map of the island might be good.

Or possibly a journal of the Mouse / another character. It could provide us with some back story or lore than may not be extrapolated within the game. This may be tricky as the game itself seems as if it will be shrouded in mystery, so the journal will have to avoid spoiling anything.

A little paw print mold would be adorable, too.
I love both of those ideas. I could see a sculpted paw print in sand or mud with sculpted sticks or rocks and grass next to it (like a small scene). Maybe even have the ash branch by it :) Doing a cast/mold for that wouldn't be as hard and so it'd be easier to mass produce them for many many fans.

A journal is also very feasible, assuming Seith has some really great creative writing skillz. I would love to see it with something of a birchbark/natural cover (if even just a background texture) with yellowed parchment pages and done with a great script font or handwritten. It could easily be an adventurer's journal for some other character that had their own quest on the island, or hint at the sequel a little bit. That way it won't spoil so much as inform players. Like a field guide. Heck I've seen pencils made out of real wood that if procured, would be AWESOME tied to it with a ribbon or something.

or just emulating this as the box itself with the games title etched into the wood. :) if it opened like a cigar box, all the better :) like this here: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... &catid=886 (well, minus the cigarbox feature)
david

@Gab and EvilKing... really, every single one of those ideas is excellent

:mrgreen:
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

david wrote:@Gab and EvilKing... really, every single one of those ideas is excellent

:mrgreen:
Haha sky is the limit, right?

One thing i'd also love to see is a poster or art print/litho by Seith. I don't know if he is classically studio-trained for drawing/painting but if he is it'd be very great to see something unique or one of the concept sketches as a print(signed would be insanely kool too).

Unlockable digital goodies!

Mouse hero avatars for web use, additional windows wallpapers (I know Seith made some already). Signature bars to help us promote the game :) whatever. Would be awesome to have a sheet with redeemable codes.

A Contest!

Certain copies of the collector's edition will include an extra certificate/goodie/etc that will be randomly inserted into the boxes that gives the winners an additional bonus of Seith's desire (if he does a super-limited edition mouse hero statue, signed full size color litho, t-shirt etc etc). Or possibly just a free bonus digital copy to give to a friend. :)
Pulsar
Original backer
Original backer

I also like these ideas :)
I would really like (signed) posters and a t-shirt in it. If one were to be made with the more expensive items, such as figurines, model lutes etc., I think there should be another cheaper version without those, since I'm sure there are people (like me) who might want one but could not afford the 'full' version.
david

evilkinggumby wrote:Haha sky is the limit, right?
Yes, let's say no budget limits at the moment! But as Pulsar says, it might be necessary to do separate editions, for people without a bazillion dollars :lol:

@EvilKing... Seith did 2D animation for The Road to El Dorado and The Prince of Egypt (both for Dreamworks) way back before he moved to doing 3D. So its a good bet that he could, theoretically, draw and paint a collector's edition poster as you suggest ;)
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

david wrote:@EvilKing... Seith did 2D animation for The Road to El Dorado and The Prince of Egypt (both for Dreamworks) way back before he moved to doing 3D. So its a good bet that he could, theoretically, draw and paint a collector's edition poster as you suggest ;)
Ha awesome. I had no idea so that is great news. I wasn't going to assume he lacked the skill, but since I don't recall seeing early dev sketches on the kickstarter page, I didn't really know.

Ya know what else would be kool for the collector's edition? slapping on an easter egg hint that would add a small extra animation or cut scene for the ending of the game. It could be anything from seeing the hero mouse play the lute to dancing by a fire to walking down a long path during sunset. :) Nothing "vital" necessarily, but a little something extra as a nod to the supporters.
Varethas

Hmmm...*strokes imaginary Nicodemus beard*

...In all seriousness, I have given this subject a lot of thought. I have several ideas, each appropriate to different potential eventualities leading up to/following Ghost of a Tale's release: I present to you my three hypothetical Amazon product listings for Ghost of a Tale's different editions (again, maybe only one out of these three ends up being possible, but the exercise may yield some ideas nonetheless!)

Ghost of a Tale: The Green Flame Edition - Premium Edition limited to 500 copies - $329USD

'For the truly determined Periclavian collector comes the Premium 'Green Flame' Edition of 'Ghost of a Tale', absolutely brimming with ultra-limited DLC and collectable content.'

Included in this edition are:

~ A Deluxe copy of Jeremiah Pena's hauntingly beautiful and immersive Soundtrack to the game;
~ A hand-numbered highly detailed 7" 'Tilo & The Ancients' diorama-figure of all of the world's different races, including a Frog of Vaelia, a Badger of Balahdon, a Hawk of Halenvir and a Myghlar Magpie;
~ An exclusive 'Tilo's Quest' Lithograph, painted and signed by creator Lionel Gallat;
~ Faux-wood and leatherbook casing for the game, complete with twine sealing strap:
~ Assorted stickers and woven badges bearing the Crests of all of the kingdom's animal races;
~ A 120 page 'Tilo's Sketch-Journal' faux-leather bound Art & Lore Book, featuring sketches, history and a section devoted to behind-the-scenes information, renders and more - with a foreward written by Lionel Gallat;
~ DLC skins for Tilo inspired by all of Ghost of a Tale's inspirations, including 'Brisby's Tattered Cape';
~ A miniature wooden candle-and-holder, made using one of the in-game models, with ignitable wick;
~ and finally, a one-of-a-kind 'Perennial Supporter' water-colour-tinted T-shirt, made in the style of Don Bluth & John Bauer!

Ghost of a Tale: The Asper Edition - Collector's Edition limited to 1500 copies - $229USD

'for the passionate and enduring Ghost of a Tale supporter comes the 'Asper' Edition, made to a strictly limited run of 1500 copies, filled with delightfully authentic exclusive content.'

~ An exclusive 'Council of Asper' Member's Medallion, of the race of your choosing;
~ A 7" 'Tilo Hiding From Rat' Statuette, complete with light-up 'flickering candle' display piece;
~ A miniature 'Tilo's Travelling Chest', containing ancient artefacts from his travels and song-paper;
~ A faux-parchment letter of thanks signed by Lionel Gallat;
~ Faux-wood and leatherbook casing for the game, complete with twine sealing strap:
~ Assorted stickers and woven badges bearing the Crests of all of the kingdom's animal races;
~ A limited edition 'Thank-you from the Team' hand-sketched and embossed lithograph!

Ghost of a Tale: The Periclave Edition - Limited Edition limited to 15000 copies- $129USD

'Prepare for a dark and perilous Adventure across the haunted Island of Periclave. In this limited edition are all the wares and sundries you will need to succeed and survive on your Quest.'

~ A Limited edition faux-chipped wood casing for the game;
~ An exclusive 'Tilo's Adventuring Napsack' replica, including semi-scale accurate loaf of bread and ornate letter opener;
~ Assorted stickers bearing the Crests of all of the kingdom's animal races;
~ A special thank-you Ghost of a Tale button pin
~ A parchment scroll depicting 'The War of the Green Flame' bas relief from the game;
~ An exclusive DLC 'Blackwood Rose' Lute for Tilo!

...all editions should also include downloadable Behind-The-Scenes footage and interviews also!
Hope you enjoyed the ideas :) Let me know what you think!

References/Inspirations

~ Wrath of the White Witch's Bestiary Tome
~ Dragon Age Inquisition's Inquisitor Edition
~ The Order: 1886's Editions
~ Destiny's Editions
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

holy crow thats some crazy collector's edition choices! Dang.. I love how thorough and detailed you got on these.

Personally I'd only be able to get the lowest tier (The Periclave Edition) but I'd certainly love to see/own the larger ones too. Certainly a lot for Seith and his crew to consider :)
david

This thread has a bunch of terrific ideas for interesting and beautiful collectors' editions... darn it, I want one myself now :D
deedlit

Same here, I can't wait. :D

Taking the postcard with all the signatures of the developers on it, on the back or on the front doesn't matter. That would be great as well.
david

deedlit wrote:Taking the postcard with all the signatures of the developers on it
That's just a terrific suggestion - we should definitely do this! Though GoaT is pretty much a one-man game so Seith's signature would be plenty imho ;)
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

david wrote:
deedlit wrote:Taking the postcard with all the signatures of the developers on it
That's just a terrific suggestion - we should definitely do this! Though GoaT is pretty much a one-man game so Seith's signature would be plenty imho ;)
thats the tricky part. getting full staff signatures on anything is logistically impractical. When you consider where seith, Jeremiah, you, cosmo and everyone else live around the world, having everyone sign ANYTHING would just be a massive expensive hassle. Possibly do a limited run if you all managed to meet at a con down the road (and the item to sign is available and with you) but.. really I don't see it happening. If all else, signed by Seith would be the most likely possibility. :) Though I admit I'd love full signatures, and I'd love just his. hehehe
david

@EvilKing... darn it, you caught me taking the music for granted, which I absolutely shouldn't considering the quality that Jeremiah can produce! I have fallen in love with the original GoaT tune on the first video from way back, even though I've heard it many, many times.

Yeah, Seith should certainly be there! And you are right, ideally also the people helped out with actual game creation, especially Jeremiah (doing all the music), and hopefully Cyrille (aka Cosmogonies here on the forum, did a bit of programming) and Paul (did some tuning with the story). Though Cyrille and Paul would probably agree with me when I say that GoaT is -pretty much- all Seith's work, apart from the music which is 100% Jeremiah.

Here's where these guys are at the moment:

Seith (France)
Jeremiah (USA)
Paul (USA and/or UK)
Cyrille (France)

You know, doing a card-signing session when everyone together is at the next convention would be an option... it might also be possible to ship a box of cards around the place to each person, to add their signature to the cards and send the box on to the next signatory. I think the guys probably would find it funny :lol:

Regrettably support guys like Stephane (marketing) and me (community) probably aren't quite as relevant of course ;)
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

hey you guys are integral too :) if card signing was going to happen.. in a way BECAUSE it is such a small close nit group of ya'll, it'd be important not to leave anyone's hard efforts out. I know they might not require it on AAA games where the cast of credits goes into the thousands, but this is GoaT and the list is hardly exhaustive. :)

and that is not to say "oh there's only a handful of you so why not sign it" but more of "BECAUSE it is only a handful of you, every person's role is significantly more important and critical, so everyone should sign it".
david

@EvilKing... ok, I'm totally up for signing a whole bunch of cards! :D

LarryTing

david wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:17 am A long, long way into the future, Seith has suggested that a boxed collector's edition of Ghost of a Tale may be forthcoming. So I was just thinking to gather your ideas about what it might include:
  • Tin box
    Soundtrack CD & MP3
    Postcards from the gameworld
    Mouse plushy toy (suggested by EvilKing)
I still have't found that edition. And I really like the music from Ghost of Tale. So they promised MP3 tracks and I can't find none! Who do I need to write about it?
senstivezond

I was sorry to hear that. But did you look well enough? Maybe it was disassembled and sold by parts? I guess you should write to the manufacturer if you are so converned. Alternatively you can get to mp3juice.link and check if they uplodaed MP3 tracks there as well. I cannot guarantee you that, but you can at least give it a try.