Suggest Enemy types!

Share your ideas and thoughts for the game with the community and team.
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

I realize this is going to be a tough but epic project, so I would love to see supporters toss ideas around for enemy types to see in the game. I understand we do not fully know and have a grasp of the story and theme, but kicking around possibilities is always fun, even if they end up scrapped.

I would love to see the equivalent of flying dragons implemented via simple BIRDS. For a mouse, anything from a owl to a hawk or even a crow could be pretty lethal, and having to watch the skies and use arrows/spells/sling bullets against a swooping bird would be pretty tricky yet fascinating. Using the DX11 architecture, you could even utilize the shadows of overflying birds as an early warning... :) Combat would consist of damaging them in the air and then finding cover (thick trees/hollow log/plants/rocks forcing them to either give up or drop to the ground on foot to fight(giving the mouse a better chance).

Serpent Assassins- They would make great stealth ninja like creatures that can be hard to detect, can spring from rocks/water/leaf piles/high grass or even fall from tree's. Their forward movement would be pretty fast, with lethal reach, but strafing and backpedaling would be slower, making combat tricky, but not impossible.

Stinging Insects - from armored beetles with sharp frontal horns to horseflies and Hornets, there are a plethora of bugs that could realistically be a threat, offering a full range of combat techniqus to learn and also materials for early piecemeal armor types. Plus, with your skill at rendering, it'd be AWESOME to build a partial plate mail set out of the great iridescent carapaces of some beetles, or the yellow and black stripes of a yellow jacket, or fuzzy bumblebee fibers. :)

How about more? What else could be right fun to implement?
FrozenCherry
Original backer
Original backer

Moreover, just have the enemy attack each other, like the food chain. Some bird attack and eat snakes and bugs. As for crafting, as stated by evilkinggumby, I would craft weapons; for example, dead venomous snake's fang, a branch, and tying equipment equates to a make-shift spear or poleaxe, or poison gland to poison equipment. Each weapon having a different use to different enemies. scales and feathers for camouflage. muscle sinew for tying equipment.
KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

I love the ideas that emphasize the unique scale of the game, like bird --> dragon. I feel this needs to be stressed, it is a HUGE selling point of the game. After all, playing a minstrel mouse is something different from the every-day run-of-the-mill muscle/boobs-packed hero.
Also I would like the game to be light on combat and more on the stealth/traps side. It would be great to actually feel the smallness and weakness of the mouse and use the environments to proceed through the world. I think Seith mentioned somewhere that the game might rather take that direction than all/out open combat?

So, snakes, spiders and scorpions would come to mind. Maybe a chameleon? You'd have to carefully observe your environments to spot it and if you do get to close to it it shoots out its tongue at your back and plugs a disharmonic chord on your lute, alerting nearby enemies to your position.
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

LOL I like the chameleon idea, or at least the idea if you are 'backstabbed' it plucks the lute and attracts more enemies.. would be a strange yet intriguing element to the game.

The description of the game early on lent itself to some combat but also a lot of puzzles and thinking, and what you are saying would align well wit that design choice. Looking at how a mouse could path it's way across terrain to be unseen and safetly navigate hazardous conditions is fascinating, utilizing balance, stealth, speed, agility and even improvisation. Since the character seems to be somewhat anthropomorphic( it walks in 2 legs) I am not sure they want to shoot for total realism in the mouse's abilities, but at times i think it could prove fun.

creating sections of the game where you need to rely on your brain and skill to cross an area would walk a fine line between "epic satisfying" and "frustrating as hell to the point of breaking immersion".

I know they don't want a huge sandbox world to play in, but if threy do shoot for somethign Zelda-esque, I also hope it has some freedomto do things in whatever order you like and not bottleneck progression by limiting any movement forward on finding 1 specific item.

For example, to gain access to the Valley of the Lemur, there is a large system of root growth , dead leaves and fallen branches covering the passage. I would hate to see the game require you to go to the Hallowed Witchwood Tree to retrieve an everburning ember and burn out the dead matter. I would love to see that as one option. but also you could go to the Gallowstone Swamp to procure poison or acid from the myre to get rid of the growth, get a upgraded tooth guard from the grave of Grand Daddy Rabbit Tinsnips and chew your way through, or possibly The amazing MoleMax's weighted claws to burrow around it. As well each of thoe choices has different effects on the land, poisoning or burning damages the trees/surrounding foliage, burrowing can cause parts of the above ground to collapse and so sink homes/friends/hidden goodies in the earth, etc etc.

That would give players various choices of where and what they wanted to do for game progression, and also steer them to go to additional areas of the game instead of "point player this way, make them backtrack for "key", retrieve, pass, wash rinse repeat.

Applying this to combat is possible too, though I'd hate to see it get overly complicated to where players hate it. Most creatures would have some weakness to best kill them, but if you lack the materials, skills, or progression, there should be at least 1 other way to deal with them, I'd think.

Though I admit much of what I am talking about is very well best implemented in a sequal or larger, more robust game. I don't know the scope and scale they expect for this one...
FrozenCherry
Original backer
Original backer

Logs and crevices would be great addition when engaging in stealth, or when running from enemies. Since, been a mouse the PC should have at sense of danger in every corner. For example, traveling during the night, has certain creatures active like owls, while traveling at day has snakes active.
Seylyn
Original backer
Original backer

I have to agree that the sense of scale is what really appealed to me about this game. I love the ideas of birds being difficult flying threats, and the collection of insect bits or other things to upgrade equipment!

We've played a board game called Mice & Mystics which also features mouse heroes as the protagonists. My favorite part (apart from the storyline) was the sense of being in the 'shoes' of the mice and having to adapt ordinary items to overcome obstacles & physical challenges that a human or larger being might overlook (buttons as shields, using forks to catapult each other onto a table top, etc.). It really added a great sense of theming and immersion into the game for us.

The size of the mouse lends well for some creative and interesting puzzle challenges which I hope we will see in the game! As for enemies, hmm, perhaps something like archerfish? They could knock our little mouse friend into the water, and either have to confront the fish or other aquatic enemies if he doesn't get out in time.
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Seylyn wrote:As for enemies, hmm, perhaps something like archerfish? They could knock our little mouse friend into the water, and either have to confront the fish or other aquatic enemies if he doesn't get out in time.
I like that idea. Kind of like the water creatures in the old Zelda games. They sit in the water and try and pull you in to get a better attack. Using a shield to block or timing a weapon swing to hit the projectile could stun them and allow for a counter attack if you have a bow or sling or throwing dagger.

Better yet, if you stun them, their body makes for a stepping stone to get to hidden rocks or paths with goodies or secret areas. :) Falling into the water slows you down and eats up stamina/energy, making the character both vulnerable and quickly tired. Would be sad to see your character drown, but also kind of cute to see the character go from a wet mousie to shaking off their fur as they continue on the path ahead.. hehe.
david
'Ghost of a Tale' Community Manager

Some terrific ideas here :shock:

Keep 'em coming! :D
Raggon

This isn't exactly an enemy, but what about passive creatures? It would be nice to see something that isn't trying to kill you. Maybe a GoaT goat? :lol:
david

Raggon wrote:This isn't exactly an enemy, but what about passive creatures? It would be nice to see something that isn't trying to kill you. Maybe a GoaT goat? :lol:
A GoaT goat? That's a terrific in-reference! :lol: If Seith can pull it off, in terms of size (b'cos all the animals we've seen so far seem to be to real-life scale... relative to each other) and a goat would be a colossus compared to a mouse. Even so, if it is doable, it would be fun as heck. ;)
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

david wrote:A GoaT goat? That's a terrific in-reference! :lol: If Seith can pull it off, in terms of size (b'cos all the animals we've seen so far seem to be to real-life scale... relative to each other) and a goat would be a colossus compared to a mouse. Even so, if it is doable, it would be fun as heck. ;)
That would be impressive. I could see having a few larger creatures in some areas as part of the general landscape you have to navigate, or part of a puzzle. WHat kind of food would you have to collect and bring to get a goat to move and let you pass? How might you sooth an angry fox who's hurt?

ANd.. for those with the stomach.. a platforming section (with stealth) where you have to navigate a pasture full of cows and avoid their methane clouds of death while avoiding being out in broad daylight as Hawks circle overhead.. hehehe Spend too much time lingering, get gassed to death. Hurry along into the sun and risk getting clipped by the birds. Pretty tricky.. hehehe

Heck have a river with spawning salmon and make it a jumping puzzle where you have to time your leaps just right to hop across them to the other side. :)