The Lute!

Share your ideas and thoughts for the game with the community and team.
KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

Right, onto what I wanted to say: what do you think the role of the Little Mouse's Lute will be? Will it be a kind of magical tool? Even a weapon (have to think about the guitar in Brütal Legend ;) )? Will it fill a central role in some of the quests? Will there be some sort of "playing" simulation integrated?
What do you think? What could you think of?

Of all the things I saw in the trailor, the Lute kept my attention the most. Just why has it got this prominent place on the back of the mouse? Afaik, Seith hasn't mentioned anything concerning the workings of the Lute.
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Your character actually is carrying the lute en route to their lover to play them a love song/poem. The better you play the game and the less damage/deaths you use to accomplish the overall quest, the better condition the lute is in at the end and so the better the music is. MULTIPLE ENDINGS!!!

Actually it could be used for a few different player-chosen story methods.

You carry your Lute across the land to try and reach a bardic college to learn the craft and start a profession.

You are bringing the instrument to the home of a sick relative to cheer their spirits as they rest and try to get better.

You are bringing back the lute to your grandparent so they can play it one more time before they pass on.

You were told to retrieve the lute as it hides a treasure map inside, and will be paid handsomely for it.

You found it on the road and just couldn't help but take it with you. At night you pluck at it, but have no initial playing skill.

The lute is bound to you, and 'speaks' to you in a series of mouse like plucks and strums, speaking of your destiny, danger, and your importance in a greater problem.

The lute is actually an incognito backpack, a small baby mouse (your child) hidden inside from harm. At night when you camp you bring the baby out and feed it whilst playing music softly.
Pulsar
Original backer
Original backer

Sorry for being boring, but the lute is there because you are a minstrel mouse and I personally doubt it will have any significant role in the game.
david
'Ghost of a Tale' Community Manager

You would be 100% right if you guessed that the lute will play a role, it is briefly mentioned here... http://analogaddiction.org/2013/04/10/g ... s-creator/ Actually, you'll see Vlad (the author of the article, and a staunch GoaT fan) here on these forums.

As to whether it will be a weapon, or serve another purpose, Seith is keeping this a secret for the moment. ;)

EvilKing, you have an amazing imagination... any one of those would be a terrific story :D
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Ah I read that article some time ago, and yes, hinted at with the lute, but no real spoilers or details given. Which just means plenty of folk can throw what they think it can be for on these threads. Maybe if someone is close they can win a custom windows wallpaper of the hero and the lute. heheh.

And thank you David. Kind words are always appreciated. I am sure I'll brainstorm and speculate enough on here you'll get right sick of me in time. But I will preface that in saying I am not out to spoil your fun in creating this masterpiece, nor do I expect or demand ANYTHING I propose to be used in the game. I just love the creative process, whether it be enriching my own, or feeding the fires of those around me.

Anyhow, I do hope more folk trickle in and throw their ideas around. I know there's a TON of possible Lute stories out there. :)
FrozenCherry
Original backer
Original backer

I know, The mouse will play "Stairway to Heaven" in the end.
KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

FrozenCherry wrote:I know, The mouse will play "Stairway to Heaven" in the end.

Last edited by KwisatzHaderach on Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrozenCherry
Original backer
Original backer

At least, it's not Freebird.

Hopefully, there some integration that you used it more then once. I hate when games give you something that you use only once.
Seith
'Ghost of a Tale' Creator and Developer
'Ghost of a Tale' Creator and Developer

All terrific ideas! I love them, let's make one game for each of them... :) Seriously I really appreciate that sort of input, thank you very much!

Unfortunately I can confirm that the mouse, in fact, will NOT play "Stairway to Heaven" in the game. I know, I know, it's very disappointing but it had to be said.

Now on the other hand, Jeremiah recently composed a track featuring the mouse playing his lute and I have to say that my eyes were watering just a little when I listened to it...
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

ok if the music made the lead developer, and the creator of this whole project, tear up.. it's gotta be resonating on just the right level. This is really good news. :)
JeremiahPena
'Ghost of a Tale' Composer
'Ghost of a Tale' Composer

Seith wrote: Unfortunately I can confirm that the mouse, in fact, will NOT play "Stairway to Heaven" in the game. I know, I know, it's very disappointing but it had to be said.
Dangit, I was looking forward to doing an epic lute rendition of Stairway to Heaven! ;)
I compose the music for Ghost of a Tale. Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeremiahpena
david

The lute would be a suitably mystical instrument for Stairway to Heaven. There would probably be copyright issues, but in theory it would be mindblowing as an easter egg!

@Kwisatz... props for the 'Waynes World' reference :D
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

Would love to see the lute be the visual cue for the characters health(I mean it's on the characters back so we'll see it all the time). As you take damage it goes from new to cracked to strings snapped to the neck half splintered... healing is a few moments of quiet mending the instrument(and whisker licking).. hehehe

I don't know if it was ever going to be included but it'd be really kool to have a limited edition replica set of that lute made in some kind of real wood with a simple stand. If you can't do it I'd likely check with my friends to see if someone might know a way. I'd love to have the lute and a replica hat with bell leaning on top of it for my office. (or possibly just a render of the 2 for windows wallpaper!)

::EDIT::

I tossed an inquiry out there to see if anyone I knew had friends or skills. No promises, as I realize Seith may be 100% against the idea, just figured I'd inquire for fun. If all else I may have a prototype made for myself if no one else was liking the idea :)