Hats for a hat collection / collectible

Share your ideas and thoughts for the game with the community and team.
david
'Ghost of a Tale' Community Manager

This is all really hypothetical, but ...

... a collection of hats in GOAT was suggested in this thread: http://www.ghostofatale.com/forum/viewt ... f=13&t=204... "In the real world, we so rarely get to wear interesting and bizarre hats. Who could resist our mouse hero wearing a sombrero, a top hat, a skull cap, a Christmas hat, a wizards hat?"

... and, if so, what hats would you like to see?

I'll start off with the suggestions we've had so far:

- wizard
- skull
- Christmas
- mexican
- top hat
- Dr Seuss
- mad hatter
- white bonnet

images by EvilKing
Pulsar
Original backer
Original backer

Pirate hat!

(I very much hope that IS a mouse and not a rat :))

On another note I would like to be my usual boring self and ask if having the mouse wear rather 'silly' hats would fit into the immersive and semi-serious 'reality' of the game?
david

Pulsar wrote:...ask if having the mouse wear rather 'silly' hats would fit into the immersive and semi-serious 'reality' of the game?
I think this is a very interesting point, I've had the same concern... because, like you, I suspect that Seith will take GOAT down a slightly dark and interesting road. Exactly as you say, a funny hats collectible might not fit the dark side of Seith's vision at all.

Although, the mouse's default hats are a bit jolly and unusual anyway (the bonnet and... for some... the fancy hat).
ImageImage
PS. Look closely at both images, and you can see how much the mouse has evolved... the default bonnet image is much newer.
evilkinggumby
Original backer
Original backer

If all of the hats were silly goofy or stupid I think it could undermine the serious and darker tones of the game. But most dark or sinister gamnes have moments of levity, or in the least a degree of dark humor. Adding something fun or silly doesn't necessarily destroy the game's aesthetic, especially if it is optional for the player.

If the player has the choice to wear the chicken hat, or continue to wear the regular cap, I say let them. Some people may be put off by the game taking itself too seriously and pushing for EVERYTHING to be dark and miserable. Having the optional to add whatever silliness you want (as a player) makes the game more approachable and allows each person to have what fun they can.

I think what we've seen so far is a mix of what makes Periclave dark and sinister, and what hakes the hero mouse NOT. I rather like that our character could very well be the single force to save the island, AND, choose to be the antithesis of the dark necromantic ways of the island. The whimsical, charming, colorful mouse amongst the grey stoney shores, bleak caves, and cliffsides, is a good thing in that it allows some contrast and balance. Hats are a small compromise to the tone. It's not like he's adding whole costumes that make our hero into an inflatable sex doll wielding a giant nerf 'We're #1' hand or something.
david

Well, we know that GOAT won't be ultra-dark... just with some dark elements... and for sure there will be a comic side too (thank heaven!).

As outsiders though (and I include myself, because Seith tells me almost nothing, and I encourage him to keep me clueless), I guess it is really hard for us to judge at this stage.

For sure Seith will be weighing the pro's and con's mentioned in his (enormous) brain.
  • PS. On a slightly different topic, at a thematic level, I really think EvilKing is on to something when he mentions the contrast between the character of the mouse and character of the island.

I think, like all great book, comic, movie and game locations (Gotham City for instance)... that the Island of Periclave will have a character and flavor of its own.
Seith
'Ghost of a Tale' Creator and Developer

evilkinggumby wrote:If the player has the choice to wear the chicken hat, or continue to wear the regular cap, I say let them.
Never fear. You'll have the opportunity to look very silly indeed. Or very dashing maybe... And there will be a couple of Easter eggs hats with references that (I hope) will delight the connoisseurs...
david

OMG... THERE WILL BE HATS... SO FUN!

:D
Seith

david wrote:OMG... THERE WILL BE HATS... SO FUN!

Arrrr matey...!

solledrache
Original backer
Original backer

:o Loving the pirate-y mouse goodness! :)
KwisatzHaderach
Original backer
Original backer

Seith wrote:

Arrrr matey...!

Brilliant stuff!
david

Seith wrote:

Arrrr matey...!

I laughed out loud, that is just hilarious and insanely cute :lol:
SaiTommson34

Ahahahah I like that hat collection :idea: